why people still prefer desktop computers instead of lap tops?

probably around which percentage of people still use desk tops and why?

I know someone that will turn the tv. on loud in other room while she works on a desk top in the other room, and I was thinking "Why don't you just get a laptop and set it on the coffee table or wherever while you WATCH tv. too, not just listen to it in the other room?

desktops

- are still more powerful

- are still much cheaper

- are typically much more easily modified and expanded (and for much less expense)

- typically have superior accessories, or at least superior readily available

(I've never seen a laptop with a keyboard or monitor as good as mine, for example, and if you were to buy them for a laptop then you're paying for two monitor, for two keyboards...)

Laptops

are for people who need a portable computer (for whatever reason)

and who are willing to incur the greater expense for desktop-like performance

or the reduced performance for desktop-like price.

• Desktop are faster,cheaper and easily customisable and won't get hot that easily.Laptops get slow 1-2 years after purchase

Hhhhhmmm ... Let's try working on the pieceof advice Your suggestion gaveinstead of whether laptops are more useful than desktops ...

From the sound of it Your Friend has the desktop (with a monitor) in a room& a TV in the next room.

Wouldn't it just make EVEN MORE SENSE to simply buy a $50 device that can show TV channels on the desktop's monitor?.

Or EVEN MORE sense than that - why not just get a small 15" TV set for the $50 they cost - so She can both see AND hear the shows while using the desktop?.

It's MUCH simpler to move the TV in the situaqtion You mentioned than it wouldbe to buy a more expensive computer, add all Your info to personalize it, run all the necessary updates & hope they all work right, keep track of 2 sets of files saved on each computer, Risk a higher theft rate if there's ever a robbery, LOTS of reasons.

G'Luck!!!

• SRΛSC

Laptops outsell desktops though.

Some I guess know their use case that they don't move around much or need their computer with them when they do & or the expandability options.

• keerok

My eyes are shot so I work with a 19" LCD. That would be very expensive if I were to buy a laptop with that spec. I also know how to assemble and fix computers so naturally, I want one where I can replace the part that only needs to be. You can't do that with laptops. Once broken, you buy a complete new laptop. If I work, no TV. If I watch TV, no computer. Life is short. I just don't want to complicate it.

Don't get me wrong. I do have several laptops which I use for repairing computers and doing off-site computer stuff. They do come in handy once in a while but when you need to process 1000 images in 2 days, you need a computer that will stay on for 72 hours straight. I live in a humid country so laptops can't be on that long, unless in a fully-airconditioned room but that becomes more expensive to the clients.

Desktops are cheaper (for what you get). They run cooler so they last longer. They're MUCH easier to work on or to upgrade. You can add more drives to hold more stuff. And the keyboard is more comfortable and easier to use, especially if you need to do a lot of typing.

I have one of each. The laptop is for Starbucks or on the road, though it also serves as a backup. The desktop is in a permanent installation, and I watch movies on it, talk on the phone on it, etc.

The advantages of laptops appeal to a lot of people--small, moveable, no cables anywhere. I know a lot of people who buy a 17" laptop and plop it on the desk and it never goes anywhere. So it might as well be a desktop (a 17" laptop isn't really 'portable'). But a desktop would have been a wiser choice in the long run.

• 5 months agoReport

yeah, but you still have Windows that seems to become obsolete every 5 years.when they move onto the next one

• Átomo

I have both. A lenovo ideapad 320 14" with i3 6gen, 8gb ram and a computer with ryzen 7 2700, 16gb ram and rx460 gpu. When I want to gaming, study programming or need to virtualize a VM, computer is a lot better, because it have more hardware power. I only use notebook when I really need the portability. But nothing is better than a fullsize keyboard, mouse, a bigger screen (at least 21.5" fullhd), a good subwoofer and a good desk to use your computer. And the hardware of a computer still a lot better than notebooks for the same price, its like 3 times faster for the same price compared to a notebooks. And it is easier to do the maintance too, if something screw you can bought the piece and change it, but in notebooks if the motherboard or cpu, or even the ram (something ram is soldier in the motherboard) you cant change that if it screw up.

I have both.

I mainly use my laptop however I use the desktop for editing video and transferring files.

I have two 32" monitors for my desktop so it works better for editing than a single screen that's 15.4"

I prefer a desktop (that's what I'm using now).

But I do also use it as my TV, I just got rid of the TV part. I live alone, I use it by myself and I have a large enough screen that it makes watching movies enjoyable. I prefer a full size keyboard because I can type properly and quickly. I also like that I can quickly open a new tab and search a tidbit of information at anytime while watching a Netflix or YouTube video (one can do that on a TV or a portable device but it is much more cumbersome).

I surf when I surf but when I get up to go outside, which I do frequently, I LIKE that I leave all that behind. I don't even want a portable device when I'm out walking in the woods.