Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 6 months ago

If you were on the moon, and you and your friend had 2 way frs/GMRS radios, or c.b radios, or cellphone, would they work?

The moon is so close to earth it could pick up the cellphone towers from earth and provide cellphone service on the moon? Am I right? Or If you turn on your cellphone would you not have any phone service on the moon?

Would a 2 way radio frs GMRS work on the moon? Would a cb radio work on the moon?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, they would work. They would work great. The moon is real close. I was jumping on my trampoline last night and I accidentally hit my head on the moon.

• 6 months ago

Of course they would work.

They would Not, however, allow communications between the earth and the moon.

Their signals would not be strong enough.

Other types of radio equipment are used in such instances.

The cell phones would require a local cell site and a few other electronic bits,

stuff that could be built into the spaceship.

• L
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No. Too far away. "So close" is only in relation to other celestial objects.

• M.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No batteries on the moon.

Obviously radio signals work to and from earth and the earth side of the moon.

Line-of-sight communication is much easier with low power, than an earth to earth non line of site signal. But the distance would attenuate the signal.

I think with a directive antenna array and FRS, it might work, but not with the transceiver as manufactured.

C.B. might work.

Cellular might also work if there was an operating cellphone tower and cellular system on the moon.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Shadow
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

If you were both on the moon, CB radio's and two way radios would work as they provide their own signal transmitters and receivers. Cellphones would not work as they only have signal receivers. Cellphones rely on towers to provide the signal for the traffic to be carried.

If you were on the moon and your friend on the earth, it would not work because you'd need a tower to amplify the signal and it would have to be the most powerful tower in the world and powerful enough that it would interfere with all radio wave devices that's why satellites and dishes are used. They focus the micro waves to a specific area and only devices with the correct receivers will be able to communicate with them.

• 6 months ago

The signal strength problem is simply a matter of setting up a sufficiently good antenna on either end (which would, on Earth, violate all regulations with regard to EIRP). So, provided you ignore the legal issue of EIRP, any two way radio like frs or CB would work with a good enough antenna.

With a cellphone, you'll have the additional issue of signal delay - the towers simply won't let you log in if your delay is too large, and IIRC even the underlying standard will not provide for a large enough delay setting, should you have the possibility to commander a BTS/BSS.

• 6 months ago

The moon is over 200 times further than an Earth communication satellite. Nothing you own can work.

• 6 months ago

Handheld radios barely make it across town. The Moon is 225,000 to 250,000 miles away depending on where it is in its orbit, ten times as far as the Earth is round. But you could talk to another lunar resident nearby.

• bubba
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Since the Moon is a satellite you would need a satellite phone for it to work or semaphore would be ok if you each had a telescope and flags

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The moon is so close to earth? It averages 238,855 miles. I doubt a cellphone will work at that distance!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.