emma asked in PetsBirds · 5 months ago

Can birds only fly when it’s windy?

I know that birds use the wind to propel them upwards so does that mean if there is no wind they become immobile? Only asking because I want a pet seagull and I’m hoping to keep him inside and since there’s no wind inside he wont be able to fly.

• oikoσ

No. And keeping a seagull as a pet is against the law. You seem to have flying and soaring confused. Birds with broad wings, like vultures, soar by riding thermals, updrafts of warm air. But birds with long narrow wings soar by utilizing the wind direction at different levels above the waves.

• PR

Ummm, O.K. You will have a messy house with a Sea Gull inside. That seems pretty funny. Besides that, since the bird will be inside your house, there won't be any wind, so he will only hop around on the floor. Pretty poopy!

• Lôn

No, of course not. ................

• Fantom

Birds have many different ways of taking off. Some, like loons, run into the wind, and the rush of air beneath their wings lifts them up. Others, like puffins and Peregrine Falcons, jump off cliffs and other high perches. Chimney Swifts simply let go of their chimney or other vertical perch, and fall into the air. Hummingbird wingbeats are so powerful that they can go straight up from a perched position without jumping. Songbirds, cranes, and many other species leap up on strong legs while flapping their wings, and there they go.

I think you must be kidding with this question.