Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 5 months ago

Why do people make you think breastfeeding is bad and say ur baby wont sleep the night and will always be hungry is this true?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

STOP listening to idiots! I raised 3 children; breast fed each and they ALWAYS sleep at night and were NEVER hungry.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No one I know thinks breastfeeding is bad. Most people think it's superior to formula.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

They're not hungry all the time, they might eat more but that's because breast milk digest faster than formula. Anyone who says that breastfeeding is bad is completely ignorant or has never breastfed their child. Breast milk is perfect for your baby it provides antibodies that formula does not. At first it might be hard but it gets easier within a few months. However, don't let anyone guilt trip you in how you want to feed your baby.

• GB
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

It is normal for babies to need night feeds in at least the first two months, whether or not you breastfeed. The current advice about formula feeding recommends making one feed up at a time, when the baby is hungry. Think what it must be like doing that, 2 or 3 times during the night, as opposed to simply putting a baby to the breast! I think it would be very easy to make a mistake.

When I became a mum, in the 1980s, it was seen as more efficient to make up a day's supply of bottles at once, and store them in the fridge. There are many healthy adults around today, who survived this. An alternative, is to buy some ready-to-feed bottles and keep them for night feeds.

On of my friends switched to formula in the first 3 weeks, on her doctor's advice. She thought 'at least I can share night feeds.' But her husband slept through the baby's crying, and trying to wake him when it was his 'turn', was more bother than doing the job herself. This might be because the mum's hormones make her react to the baby quicker.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

You can find someone with almost any opinion on any topic. Breastfeeding is no exception.

• LizB
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Well, it's unusual for any very young baby to sleep through the night. It's completely normal for babies to wake up at least once a night to eat until around age one, and even beyond. Very young babies obviously wake up more often.

• 5 months ago

It's not bad but it doesn't work out for everyone. You baby will be more hungry and need to feed more often but if you can keep up with that then it's fine.

• 5 months ago

Because those "people" are ignorant.

• In
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

THEY don't know what the heck THEY are talking about and THEY should mind THEIR own business. Don't let anyone shame you into doing something you don't want to do. Breast feeding is all natural and provides for all of the nutritional needs of an infant. Unfortunately it is not always possible to breast feed for various reasons, and in these cases using formula will fill the gap nicely. In addition breast feeding is a great way to shed those extra baby pounds quickly.

• LizB
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Except for those of us who hang onto baby weight until weaning is complete, because hormones.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

That's a strange thing for "them" to say. How many people have said this to you. I bet it's 1 uneducated ignoramus who likes saying things they have no idea about.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.