Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 5 months ago

When someone dies unexpectedly, can their family legally gain access to their social media?

I noticed that oftentimes when someone passes away their family leaves messages on their twitter, instagram or facebook. That seems like a violation of privacy IMHO.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • SRΛSC
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Well, when the person passes then there is no one's privacy to violate. If people that know the deceased person's log in or have access to their devices & they choose to do that, so be it.

I recently was in that position, though I didn't post anything through the account, I just had, in this case Facebook, memoralize it & that was the end of that.

• 5 months ago

FYI, Under common law, the right to privacy is considered a personal right, meaning it applies only to the living and, consequently, does not recognize the privacy interests of the deceased.

• 5 months ago

well facebook has legacy contact so a designated person can look after your facebook account if its memoralized. ijm pretty sure most social media platforms have that option. while they cant actually login they can control certain aspects of it.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

you could try asking sorneone in charge of facebook this question

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Joseph
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

No if they gave them the password to maintain things. But face book insists on shutting down deceased peoples pages one year after their passing.

• 5 months ago

After a friend died last week (unfortunately, sort of expectedly), I learned that FB has a setting that allows you to designate others to take your account if you die.

I didn't set it up and don't know how it works.

I don't know if other systems do to or people know/guess their passwords.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.