Will removing a hard drive prevent someone from getting any data?

I recently sold a MacBook Pro on eBay for parts. Because the screen was unresponsive and I didn't have the correct cable to connect the hard drive to another computer so I could wipe it, I physically removed the hard drive from the inside of the MacBook and sold it without the hard drive. My question is, will this suffice in preventing anyone from getting their hands on info that was on the laptop? I had some private info and lots of passwords on it since I am very forgetful. I know that some info is stored in RAM, but this data is wiped every time the computer is shut off right?

What porn don't you want them to see? It is all on line.

• YKhan

Yes, the HDD or SSD are the only places where your persistent data is stored. There is nowhere else.

• keerok

Yes, removing the hard drive and keeping it with you would be the safest thing to do to prevent anyone from getting data from it. What is there to steal from if the hard disk isn't there anymore?

Don't worry about RAM. Yes, every time the computer goes off, everything in the RAM is erased.

• Lv 7

right. you are safe with just the HDD.

Your information, and passwords are stored on your hard drive, so nobody will be able to get it because you still have it.

• Dave

Correct. All the data was saved to the hard drive. You are good to go.

• Joe

You did the right thing. There's no private data that will survive more than a few seconds in RAM.

Sandy: hard drives are remarkably resistant to wiping with a permanent magnet.

Kevin: If you want to truly destroy the data, drive a nail through the drive, just outside of the circle that should be visible on one side or the other. That will shatter the substrate into a million pieces.

No hard drive then there is no data on the computer for them to steal. You are 100% safe.

• Sandy

put a magnet on top of the drive and leave it for a week or two, to be sure.