Will removing a hard drive prevent someone from getting any data?

I recently sold a MacBook Pro on eBay for parts. Because the screen was unresponsive and I didn't have the correct cable to connect the hard drive to another computer so I could wipe it, I physically removed the hard drive from the inside of the MacBook and sold it without the hard drive. My question is, will... show more I recently sold a MacBook Pro on eBay for parts. Because the screen was unresponsive and I didn't have the correct cable to connect the hard drive to another computer so I could wipe it, I physically removed the hard drive from the inside of the MacBook and sold it without the hard drive. My question is, will this suffice in preventing anyone from getting their hands on info that was on the laptop? I had some private info and lots of passwords on it since I am very forgetful. I know that some info is stored in RAM, but this data is wiped every time the computer is shut off right?