How can I make sure a household item sell , runs safe and smoothly , without me getting ripped off?

I will be selling several household items . The main thing I am selling is a bedroom set valued at $ 2 , 000 .

$2,000 Will be the amount of money that I will ask for the bedroom furniture.

I realize that I can easily be ripped off if the buyer were to write me a fake check .

How else should I have the buyer pay for the items?

And should I demand that he / she pay me for the items before they actual start removing the items from my home?

• Eva

Have them pay you in cash and of course they should pay you before removing any items.

Cash only.

Good luck on getting $2k for a used bedroom set....

When you post the listing, state "cash only". Also state "$2,000 firm", so they know that is the already rock bottom price. Have a friend there with you when they come to see the bedroom set. Have valuables put away - out of site. When they say they want it, if they don't hand you the cash, remind them - $2,000. Count it in front of them and put it in an envelope. Then hold on to the $2,000 in the envelope - don't put it down anywhere.

I you think what you are selling is worth $2000, it is probably worth no more than $1,000, and I won't pay you more than $500.

The fact you asked how to be sure a bedroom set runs safe and smoothly doesn't help.

Valued at $2000 means NOTHING now. So you bought it for that much? Ok, good luck getting all that back, because you won't. No one is going to look at your used crap and spend that much, when they can get something new for the same price. I've seen sets cheaper than what you're trying to sell it for.

You'd better cut the price and take what you can get. I wouldn't be surprised if people offer you well below $500. If they're going to spend thousands on used crap, they are going to antique auctions, LOL.

And you would ask for CASH ONLY, no personal checks of any kind.

• babyboomer1001

Perhaps the set cost him $6,000 new. Maybe more. You should not be so condescending when you don't know what he has.

i think theres always risks involved, you rnight get lucky and not get ripped off

Make them cash only sales, the balance to be paid before removal.

You can have the buyer pay you in cash.

But unless your bedroom set was purchased for $20000 very recently it is not worth $2000 now.

If you purchased it for $2000 2 months ago, you will be lucky to get $600 now.

How do I know... I've been shopping for furniture on CL, FB Marketplace, etc lately and all the furniture says

"Purchased last year for $2400 and selling for $750. Must sale quickly due to moving".... and it sits there.