Do I have to be present in court to do my own adult name change?

Update: In Illinois, you have to file your papers with your court date set, then publish your name change announcement in the newspaper for 3 weeks, then wait another 3 weeks until my court date. The only issue is that I'll be off at college for the first available court date. My college is far away and too expensive... show more In Illinois, you have to file your papers with your court date set, then publish your name change announcement in the newspaper for 3 weeks, then wait another 3 weeks until my court date. The only issue is that I'll be off at college for the first available court date. My college is far away and too expensive to come back for the court date. I also don't know when I'll be home next. Do I have to be present for my court date, or can my witness represent me? Or do I need a lawyer to represent me?