JD asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 5 months ago

Do you allow shoes in the house when hosting a party?

I’m going to be having a house party soon and was wondering if I should allow my guests to wear shoes inside. Normally, I take them off at the door and ask my guests to do the same. It’s going to be an intimate gathering, so I was leaning toward keeping my usual rule. What do you think?

Your house, your rules, but if you live in a culture where removing shoes isn't the norm and you have guests that might not be aware of your house rules, then give them a heads up in advance if you don't want to make an exception, and maybe have slippers/socks ready to them to borrow.

Where I live shoes off is the norm, but exceptions are sometimes made for parties where people wear their dress shoes. It's the same in my home. Shoes off as a rule, but parties with dress shoes, they can keep them on (some do, some don't), unless they are wearing stilettos that will damage my wooden floors.

In some countries, that is a standard practice for all entering the home. Probably not for your country or you would not be asking the question. Let them wear their shoes. If you don't want the floors that will stand up to the use by others in shoes, maybe you should not host parties.

nope most defo not!

When I have a party, I do not ask guests to remove their shoes. For one thing, it is a bottle neck in the foyer when everyone is trying to take off their shoes as they walk into the house at the same time. Secondly, women's foot ware typically matches their outfit. I would hate to ask a guest to remove those killer heels and be stuck with the best part of her outfit on my foyer floor all evening.

I do have a shoes off rule, but break it during parties. I have had two close friend/couples over for a relaxing dinner and they automatically take off their shoes (I have a basket full of cushy socks in all colors and patterns and solids). I am surprised at how many men reach for cushy socks even though they are already wearing socks.

• Nuff Sed

Maybe the men don't want their own socks to be in contact with your floors, then later transfer your floor contamination to the insides of their shoes.

• Cammie

If you do make people take their shoes off, have several sets of cushie socks around.Several people may feel you are ruining their outfit .

• GEEGEE

I allow shoes in my house all the time. I have a mix of tile and vinyl plank flooring. If people have been to your home before, they likely know of your shoeless policy. If you want others to go without shoes I'd be inclined to warn them so they can bring slippers.

• drip

Yes. I do. For all company at all times. Most of my floors are wood or tile. And even carpet is meant to walked on. All can be cleaned.

I think it is ridiculous, insulting and rude to make guest take off their shoes. I have a good LLBean mat outside and a rug they can wipe their shoes on inside.

It`s better to ask guests to stay without shoes inside your house.

guests are special and they may wear shoes. I do greet them barefoot at the door and my shoe collector is there as they come in ...

We do. It's not polite to expect your guests to walk around in their stockinged feet at a party, they are guests after all. Decent guests would wipe their feet on entering, you should trust them to make sure their shoes are clean. When the grandparents used to come to us for the day they'd bring their slippers/house shoes with them as they were part of the household, others didn't.