Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 5 months ago

Why do people think I have to respect a lot of people I know are stupid in order to get a job?

Why should I respect some old man and respect him when his calculation for example is worse than mine and knows nothing valuable. And I'm supposed to bow down to him in order to work there? Shouldn't I just find someone I think is worth respecting or do something where I don't think people are taking advantage of me?

Apparently you suffer from AOC-itis. This is the belief that somehow life experience is irrelevant and that you've somehow picked that up by osmosis simply by existing for a few decades. That's not how life works and while you can certainly complain about being underpaid if you have a useful degree and real job skills (many people are). You can't pretend that everyone over the age of 30 is an idiot just because they're not as "woke" as you. Your elders created the job you inhabit and you're just going to have to wait until they die to get your turn at being the top dog. That's how life is. Sorry.

• rick

If it was "fun" I wouldn't have to pay you to do it. If you don't make me more money, than I pay you, there is no reason to hire you. Since you have such a bad attitude, and such poor people skills, I have to assign you to work under the strictest, and least tolerant of my managers. If you do not get along with the other employees and supervisors, you are a disruptive influence in my business. If you do not show respect, we will not respect you, with even so much as a second paycheck.

There! Wasn't THAT simple?

Because they likely have skills you don't. Plenty of people are unable to use a calculator, a computer, a car, a cell phone or any other electronic device. This doesn't meant they're stupid or uncapable of working, they just haven't learnt how to use these devices because they weren't invented yet and/or didn't became popular until recently. It's like trying to teach an adult how to write or read, not an easy task. My late aunt, for example, was unable to put on a washing machine, and she refused to learn how to do it. She'd rather wash clothes by hand, like most people did a century ago.

• Peter

With that attitude, you'll be a long time looking for a job.

Respecting someone doesn't mean that you have to bow down to them. Respect towards your elders is just a given in civil society. If the person has done something to cause you to lose respect for them but they are still expecting you to respect them, then it is up to you to explain your lack of respect towards them. Not respecting someone is not an excuse to behave in an insulting or obnoxious manner, however. To get respect you must be willing to give it as well.