I'm trying to edit and print my wedding photos, but they are coming out blurry... The resolution is 500, but the size of the photo is 4"x3".?

• Frank

resolution of just 500 is very, very, very small. Right click on the image and then choose properties. This will show you the actual resolution (pixels per inch or PPI). With this information, you can then precisely calculate the largest photo-quality image that can be printed from the file. Simply divide the resolution by 300. Example: A photo with 4,000 x 8,000 pixels can be printed up to 13" x 26".

I think you're using the 500 number as the resolution meaning how many pixels per inch the image could have. For example, my camera shoots at 240 PPI. I can, using Photoshop, increase that number. But that does not explain the actual resolution of the image. You can can have a camera that shoots at 240 PPI with an 18MP, 24MP or even 40MP sensor. The number is basically telling you that based upon how many pixels there are and how close they are, the rate would be 500 pixels per inch. If the image is coming out 4x3, this means that your image has an actual resolution of 1,200 x 900 PPI.

• John P

Indeed the intention by the photographer was to send you preview photo files of small size, not suitable for printing, so that the photographer has control over any good quality prints made. Did the photographer not explain that when you booked him/her?

I have read your comments to the other answers. I believe the simple answer is that the link provided by the photographer is NOT intended for the images to be printed. There is a HUGE, HUGE difference in how photos are set up for web viewing and for printing.

I believe you do not fully understand how PIXEL SIZE DIMENSIONS relates to PIXELS PER INCH (PPI) and how DOTS PER INCH (DPI) relates to PRINTING. DPI and PPI are NOT the same thing, though the terms are often tossed around and interchanged. PPI is what you see on the screen, ... DPI is a print only parameter. I think you are seeing PPI on the photo link, and it may very well be shown as DPI, which is confusing you. To make good prints at 4 x 3 inches you need to see ON SCREEN pixel dimensions of 1200 x 900 at a true 300 DOTS PER INCH. I am thinking you are seeing a PIXEL DIMENSION of 500 PPI, which is not large enough for your printing.

Bottom line. Most REAL pro photographers never supply printable files to a client unless they are PAID FOR. Print sales is one way the photographer makes money, and there is nothing at all wrong with that. The photographer OWNS ALL LEGAL RIGHTS to the images, you do not. The ONLY way you own the copyright to the images is if the photographer sells them to you in a written contract. You truly need to contact the photographer and discuss a price for any prints you want. If the photographer is a REAL photographer, and not just someone play acting like one on Facebook, then the photographer will be able to supply quality prints from a professional print lab, ... NOT some home made prints or garbage from Walmart.

It all boils down to I believe you are trying to print files that are not intended to be printed.

Is there anything you can do with 4X3's? Can you work them into your plans? What would be something neat, special, professional, or traditional? What would be something practical? Do 4X3's disrupt the delicate web?

Then you'll have to talk to your photographer - if they simply sent you a link to the preview gallery or to the high resolution downloads.

Yes, 500 DPI is a lot, 500 pixels isn't - the question is, are your pictures 500 x 400 pixels, or are they 2000 x 1500 pixels (4" x 3" @ 500 dpi)?

---

2048 x 1730 should be enough for 4"x3" prints. Increasing the pixel count won't give you any more image information (ok, there are a couple of filters in either Adobe PS or GIMP that can do a pretty good job of upgrading resolution, but that probably won't help you). More likely (but I'm guessing here) would be that the images have a high compression rate set up, so what you're seeing is mainly compression artefacts. Ok for web images, not so nice in print.

I'm not asking you to link your images here - I've uploaded one picture at three different settings to imgur, you can check there if, what you see in your images, may be in any way related to the image size or compression. Just don't click on the link if you have a phobia against wasps (it's a macro shot of a wasp on its nest): https://imgur.com/a/xj4Erhf

• Is there a way I can increase the pixel size in Photoshop and have the picture be clearer? Or do I just need to ask my photographer still?

• keerok

You mean DPI is 500? That would make your pictures just 3MP, too small for serious work. Were they downloaded from a social sharing site? You need to get copies from the original large versions to make better and larger prints.

So what?

........................

• I'm trying to print them at larger scale and they are very blurry. I assumed since the resolution is so high, that I could scale them easily. But that is not the case.