Someone tried to pry open the garage door at my apartment. They didn't get in, but the door needs replaced. The landlord wants me to pay?

I told him that I'm not responsible for crimes committed by people walking down the alley, but he insists. I told him to file a claim with his insurance, but he refuses. In the meantime, I'm unable to open or close the garage and can't use it. I pay an extra $100/month for the garage. Can I stop... show more I told him that I'm not responsible for crimes committed by people walking down the alley, but he insists. I told him to file a claim with his insurance, but he refuses. In the meantime, I'm unable to open or close the garage and can't use it. I pay an extra $100/month for the garage. Can I stop paying the $100/month until he repairs the door?

If he wants me to pay for the repairs though, I insist we go to court because that is entirely unfair.