Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 5 months ago

Why don't vegans eat honey? It actually comes from flowers, not from bees?

Update:

I meant that it is bees who make it, but the ingredients come from flowers. Probably nobody will read this, but that's what I meant

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Tyler
    Lv 5
    5 months ago
    Best answer

flowers do not have honey, they have nectar. the nectar is collected by the bees and once it is infused with their saliva, it becomes honey back in their hive. since it requires "animal labor" to produce, it is on par to them with drinking milk (which by some accounts is far worse - factory farming milk is no where near what it was 2 centuries ago).

to me, bees produce an overabundance of honey and, if managed and harvested ethically, is perfectly fine to eat. and unlike eggs and milk, the vast majority of honey is produced by smaller, ethical producers.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Similary, cows are made of grass & little lambs eat ivy.

• 5 months ago

The honey is actually produced by the bees though. It’s not just ‘excreted’ from the flowers somehow.

• patty
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

comes from the bee so vegans won't like it

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Probably because they don't consume sugars. Honey is essentially sugar.

• Sara
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

They didn't say it's an essential sugar. They said it's essentially (ie. basically) sugar.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Because the word “vegan” means a person who consumes absolutely NO animal products at all: NOTHING that comes from or is produced by an animal.

A person who eats honey is NOT a vegan.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

That's like saying vegans should eat beef because cows come from grass/hay.

• 5 months ago

As other people are pointing out, bees make the honey. Also to successfully farm honey, you have to interfere with bee's natural habitat, have them live in artificial hives, etc. As far as I know, the bees aren't hurt in any way in the process, and therefore vegans differ as to whether honey is OK or not. I'm a vegan, and I don't freak out if I find out that something's got honey in it. But technically speaking it isn't vegan because at the very least it interferes with bee's natural life, and also it is stolen from them.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

It's bee barf. They eat the pollen and then make it into honey inside themselves, then barf it up. Alcohol is yeast poop BTW. There's a long and boring argument to "bee" had here as to if bees are animals and thus animal products but then, aren't seeds living things although not animals too and thus eating plants is also wrong and all this is bullshit? But we'll save that for another day.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

It’s bee puke..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.