Acting Class - What to think about how the teacher treats you in class?

Specifically, I'm in an acting class (Meisner Technique course) and everything has gone well until we got to the scenes. I was a assigned a partner who is not emotionally connected. He's from another country so English isn't his first language. Every line is a struggle and it is as if he doesn't really know/understand what he is saying or me. He's not really listening.

Anyway, the point is, we were partnered together. The last 3 classes since getting paired we have gone last. There are 8 pairs and we always go last. Not to mention, we sit through the 3 hour class just watching for 2.9 hours and then get up there for 5 minutes and the teacher barely gives anything (critique, guidance, point of view walk through etc.). Whereas, other pairs are given 15-20 minutes to perform, get critiqued, talked through the scene/point of view of the characters etc. It's as if the teacher is just brushing us off.

It's hard for me to not get emotional because I don't understand why we're being treated this way. Is it because we're horrible? (totally possible, but hey, that's why we're taking the class - to improve!) I'm not sure what to think. My partner thinks it's fine and that the teacher actually likes us and keeps making us go last for a reason. I'm pessimistic though haha. If anyone has some idea/perspective on this, please voice it! Much appreciated.

Very similar thing happened to me this year! I would always get frustrated because out of everyone in the class, I'm the only person who never got any advice. I'd go for ~30 minutes at least once a week, and the full time was my professor criticizing my partner. I assumed I was just bad, but then my classmates talked to me, and I realized I was the favorite student. It does always depend on your director, but if they actually care about their job, then theres a good chance they think you're doing a great job. The ones who don't give help to the ones who need it usually direct on a smaller scale. And if you're still worried about it, next time just try something bold and completely original! That's what directors most want to see, and it'll be a chance to show whether or not your director is paying attention

don't worry. I don't think it means your a bad actor. sometimes teachers like to save the best for the last. You probably act better than most of your classmates

• AGATHA7 months agoReport

I say this from experience

Why guess at your teacher's motivation - go ask them!

Get what you can from the class. Learn what you can from the teacher. Try to work out any problems you might have. Realize if it's best to bite your tongue, clench your teeth, or sweep under the rug any unresolvable differences. Maybe this is a difference you have with a person you can't really do anything about? Maybe just let it go and keep moving? Realize what you can offer to that teacher and what the teacher offers to you.

• Cogito

You need to go and speak to the teacher. We can't help. Only YOU can fix this by being honest and explaining.

Talk to the teacher and ask to go up first the next time.