Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Packing & Preparation · 5 months ago

How do I travel with two pets onboard an aircraft?

I have a cat 10 lbs , and a dog 10lbs.

The representative over the phone said that the carrier must fit underneath the seat in front of me?

Is this doable? Or are my animals too big to fit under there? What type of carrier do I need to purchase from the pet store?

YOU do not have unlimited room in the cabin for your pets.

There is room for ONE under the seat in front of you.

You buy a kennel that is large enough for your cat and your dog.. They should be able to stand up and be able to turn around inside.

In most situations one animal per kennel.(under the seat)

Be prepared one may need to go with the luggage.

The is not one rule for every Airline , every type of plane.

YOU contact your Airline and do as instructed.

Is this doable? YES IF YOU have the appropriate size that fits.

Or are my animals too big to fit under there? BOTH together is probably not possible.

What type of carrier do I need to purchase from the pet store? It is a lengthy description.

https://www.pettravelstore.com/pet-cargo-crates-ho...

You purchase your kennel based on inches of cat and dog. Their weight means little.

The area under the seat is measured in INCHES. The kennel fits or it does not.

If you do not do it properly your pet can be denied boarding. During extreme weather if pet is going with luggage it can also be refused if the weather is extreme at departure or destination place.

You have a lot of work left to do to organize your pet travel.

Contact the airline again and get more specific details. The pets will need their own reservations.

SOFT side carriers are not suitable if pet must ride with the luggage.

Under the seat in most cases has just room for one pet.

Call the airline again and tell them you have two pets who will each be in a carrier. Ask about restrictions.

• MS

In order to take a pet into the cabin, it (or they) must fit in a carrier that fits under the seat in front of you. Most people buy soft-sided carriers for this. You should confirm the dimensions of the under-seat area with your airline; that information is probably available online where they discuss traveling with pets.

The animal(s) must be able to stand and turn around in that carrier. I don't think 2 10-lb animals will be able to do that. They will have to remain in the carrier for the duration of the flight.

You should also be aware that there is a fee for taking pets on board, that these arrangements must be made in advance, and that these pets will count as your carry-on item.

It sounds like you need to get back in touch with the airline and make sure you understand its policies.

• Gary

Put them on your lap. You wouldn’t want to cage a baby or a small child. Treat animals well.

Did you TELL the person that you have two pets? It sounds as if she was just talking about one. Usually each animal has to be in a separate carrier, and the airline will tell you the specific size for each animal. I can't imagine you told the agent you had a 10 lb cat and a 10 lb dog and she told you to put them into one carrier.

It seems obvious that you'll have to have them transported in the hold, in separate crriers.

Phone the airline again and get the whole thing clarified. Don't whatever you do turn up at the airport and just expect the pets to be accommodated; the airline HAS to know in advance, and you HAVE to conform to very specific rules about carrier sizes.

• bluebellbkk

In complete agreement with you, MS. SOmething is wrong here. I seriously believe the airline staff member didn't understand the whole situation; they CANNOT have answered the way the Asker says.