Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 5 months ago

Besides moon or Mars exploration, why not explore the milky way?

Why only solar system? There is lot more than solar system in milky way

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

we need speed holmes,a lot more of it,,half the speed of light would be a good start,,we are turtles on the shore of the pacific on a 100 meter round island,,wondering ]hownihell to we get out there sonny?'

• 5 months ago

Short answer, the traveling time to:

- the Moon: 3 days

- Mars: 6 months

- closest star system (Alpha Centauri): 70,000 years (at Voyager speed)

- Milky Way crossing: 1.7 billion years

Unless we master wormhole, warp factors, or hyperspace travel, it will be the Solar System only.

• 5 months ago

The Milky Way is farther than u can imagine litteraly

• Sky
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Because the fastest spacecraft we have now, which are just small space probes, would take about 40,000 years to reach the closest star outside our solar system, if it was headed that way. Humans do not yet have a spacecraft that has the capability to make interstellar travel practical.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

We will get there eventually

Good things come to those who wait

Attachment image
    • ob1knob
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

If this chimp is supposed to be Ham from the Mercury program, he can be happy:
      He is the first primate to survive a NASA flight after a dozen of apes and monkeys dead of suffocation, overheating, extreme stress, rocket explosions, parachute failures, lost at sea...

• 5 months ago

The issue is distance... The objects in our solar system take months and years to reach with our current technology... an example are the two Voyager probes. They've been in space for 42 years - and have only reached the Kuiper Belt in the last few years. They'll spend thousands of years going through the Kuiper Belt, then the Oort cloud, before finally leaving the influence of our sun...

And the nearest star is Proxima Centuri - at their current speed, Voyager will take about 18,000 years just getting that far. And the Milky Way stretches for thousands of light years beyond that.

• 5 months ago

We are, but consider the two probes launched back in 1977 are only just now leaving our solar system. The nearest star to ours is just under 2 light

years away. (Oops, planetoid, not star)Nearest system is 4 Ly. Not even out of Orion arm yet.

Milkey Way is not small. Even if light speed were possible, still take centuries to tool the galaxy.

I do that with Celestial, takes 2 seconds to visit Andromeda (M31).

• oyubir
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

I don't want to be the *** arguing forever. I am no astronomer. But why rebuke other people answer, when obviously, you are even less astronomer than they are? Your own answer is correct in its global meaning, but so full or errors! (2ly, 10ly, Sedna, Eris, ...)

• 5 months ago

Hey good idea. Let's go to the nearest stellar system which is Proxima Centauri. It's only 4.2 light years away. Given that we might be able to reach, say, 1/4 light speed with our technology in the next 20 years, it would take roughly 20 years one-way to get to that star. Give the crew a year to explore the planets around Proxima Centauri, then another 20 years back to Earth.

That's forty plus years round trip...to the nearest star in the galaxy. The next nearest is over ten light years away. So we can chalk up over 80 years round trip for that one.

Are you getting the picture? The Milky Way is a very big place, stretching 100,000 light years in diameter. That's why we have no plans to explore the Milky Way. It's way too big and we're way to slow to do that in the expected life-time of our planet.

• oldprof
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Oy I added the acceleration time in, so I used 20 years one way. If you want to use 2 years ramping up and down, use 18.8 round trip. As all my numbers are WAGs to start with 20 years seemed to be a reasonable ballpark estimate for illustrative purposes. 18.8 years does not change the crux.

Lv 6
    5 months ago

Explore as in travel? Too expensive. Do you think NASA has never thought of that?

• Richard5 months agoReport

Even kids come up with a weird ideas that are accidently useful. No one that works at NASA thinks that people are useless in finding solutions ,even the uneducated.

• 5 months ago

Someone should colonise Uranus.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.