Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 5 months ago

Is forcing your children to watch graphic horror movies a form of abuse?

When I was a young child (4-5yrs) my father used to pressure me into watching quite graphic horror movies (such as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and mock me when I'd look away or start crying out of fear. I told this to my boyfriend today and he started laughing and defended my father's actions, saying it was just "harmless fun". Thoughts?

• David

Anybody would be insane to make kids watch that!

https://www.wattpad.com/708063218-catch-a-falling-...

Why would u do it to begin with

This one is definitely tricky, because each person is different. That means each parent is different, just like each child is different. Some kids grow to appreciate things they didn't think they would like with a little pressure, and other children are more sensitive and are harmed by the pressure. If it was abusive, it's a good bet that it was not intentional, and your hard assed dad and boyfriend may never understand how much it upset you because they just aren't that sensitive about it. Contrary to what we believe our entire childhoods, our parents are not without their faults, and a huge part gaining your own mental stability is to learn to forgive them even if they aren't aware that you are doing so, and let past digressions go. You're old enough now to stand your ground against things like this that may make you uncomfortable now, and you absolutely should. You don't have to be mean about it; just explain to your boyfriend/parents that whatever it is in question makes you uncomfortable, even if they don't understand why.

Of course this is abuse. Also, odds are high any dad who would do this to you also abused you in more subtle, less obvious ways.

It's pretty clearcut you should do yourself a big favor and get some talk therapy. Bad parenting can leave lifelong scars, and this results in some poor decision making. Like everyone else, I think your bf sounds creepy, but dumping him won't fix you. You need to know why you're with him and the other ways your childhood is impacting your choices.

You don't give your age, which is always helpful, but you really don't want to date anybody until you've "fixed yourself". None of this is your fault, obviously, but it's going to be your job to become the best version of yourself.

• Sharon

that was abuse by your father, and suggests very serious problems if you have a future with that bf.

Its stretching it a bit, but I think it could be. BTW, your boyfriend sounds awful, dump him. Your father also sounds awful.

Of course it is abuse. https://www.google.com/search?q=define+abuse&rlz=1...

However, there is nothing you can do about it now. What you CAN do now is dump your boyfriend. It sounds like you switched out your father for this boyfriend.

• Alan H

It was inappropriate. If it still concerns you, seek medical guidance

Sorry dear but your choice of boyfriend sucks. Yes it is abuse to make children watch graphic horror movies, especially if they are under age. Everyone has their like or dislikes and to force your own on children is not a good way to raise a happy child. I would lose the boyfriend who thinks it is ok for a 4 - 5 year old to watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Hell I saw it when I was 25, and I still get nightmares . This guy is another Daddy dear!

This is child abuse at 4 years old your brain would not be able to process it. I would not be surprised if you are suffering with mental health now due to traumatised childhood.