Jacob asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

Am I wrong for not wanting to drown my pasta in sauce?

I love to cook but my roommate has particular taste. Don't get me wrong, he likes my cooking but he grew up eating pasta that was more sauce than anything else and the very idea appalls me. I believe the sauce is meant to compliment the pasta. I use 1 jar or can per 1 package of pasta, sometimes adding a small amount of milk or water to thin it out a little. I like to taste all the components in harmony. What do you think?

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

No. You are quite right. Italians do not drown pasta in sauce, but Americans vastly over-sauce pasta. I used to live in Italy and learned Italian cooking there, so I know.

The only way to handle this is to keep the sauce separate from the pasta and then each of you can sauce your own.

By the way, I make my own sauces. They are vastly superior to canned or jarred versions.

• oldprof

Lili: I too lived in Italy, Sicily to be exact. And the tavoli caldi in and around where I lived slathered their pastas with sauce. If you traveled much in Italy, you know that regional cooking varies considerably from region to region. Ciao.

I personally think it's weird but then again to each their own. I just prefer mine that way but that doesn't mean it's the "right way" if that makes sense. Also don't be so shocked that he grew up mainly eating pasta because some ppl eat what they can to save money and pasta is really cheap and some ppl are just picky eaters. But no you're not wrong everyone has their preferences.

• Jahal

Nope. That's some American chef boyardee shazz. Sweet tomato sauce, ugh

Remember in Goodfellas when Ray liotta was served noodles with catsup on top, and was disgusted and defeated ?

You're not wrong.

• denise

Thats the traditional 'Italian' way with less sauce, but it depends on personal preference, have it the way you like.

• F

The sause is the best bit. Pasta is tasteless on it's own.

• John

You are in line with the world of cooking, as others have said. Maybe even MORE sauce than some Italians. I use Classico in a jar (yeah, I can do scratch if I have all day to kill) with added ground turkey and mushrooms. 1 jar to one pound pasta. Just right and my Italian wife agrees.

Just plain enjoy with or without drowning it with the sauce and stop being a douche bag about it

I'm on your roomie's side. To me pasta is a necessary evil for carrying the sauce up and into my mouth. It's the sauce that carries the flavor and the pasta provides the texture. Without the pasta it would be soup, which has little to no texture at all.

• Todd

When I was a kid, I ate only the sauce, nothing else. Today, I like the sauce _not_ thin. The pasta I like is shaped instead of noodles. I don't drown the pasta, rather thoroughly cover it, but I still taste the pasta and preserve the texture. For my tastes, you got it backwards. The sauce is not the vehicle, that pasta is for the sauce. In other words, the sauce is the driver, the pasta the car.

I think someone who loves to cook isn't using sauce from a jar.

I also think it doesn't take a genius to heat the sauce in a separate pan so that each of you can dish out however much you want on the pasta.

Since you asked my personal preferences, I am not actually a fan of tomato based sauces, especially store-bought ones. My pasta is usually prepared with olive oil, garlic, fresh herbs and Reggiano (if a side dish). If it's a one-dish meal, it will also have fresh vegetables and often a little meat such as Italian sausage or pancetta.

• Mark

Not at all. A little sauce goes a long way. Oversaucing PASTA isn't the only thing people do. I get a kick out of people who think ordering a salad (instead of a steak or something) is "dieting". It isn't if you put 5 ounces of an oil-based dressing on it so that the salad FLOATS on it.