When will driverless cars come out to the USA?

• Jay P
    Favorite Answer

They are already on US roads, in the testing phase.

If you're asking about fully autonomous vehicles being available for the public to use, that's still a few years away...

• David

Hopefully about the time I'm too old to drive.

Maybe twenty years from now they will be able to do so SAFELY

I hope they are never allowed here. Stupid idea.

• Mr.357

My son drives a lot of GPS guided stuff. He says he will NEVER trust a GPS vehicle at highway speeds.

• Pete L

I don't think they'll ever come out, they aren't gay!

• Scott

They are already here. I see waymo testing them every day. I hope that they never become mainstream.

Hopefully, never. We have enough trouble keeping accidents down. The incredibly complicated technology is bound to fail.

• Mark

Indeed, probably after people have become complacent. A failure wouldn't not be pretty.

• ioerr

i have no idea when, or if that'll ever happen

the technology may actually already be there, or nearly there. but i'm sure this kind of thing is inevitably going to kick up all kinds of opposition from people worried about what happens when some ai car kills a person, and so on

and this of course despite the near certainty that such cars will never, ever, be anywhere near as deadly to others, as the the conventionally piloted, human driven cars, have always been. though yeah i'm sure the legal liability issues would keep some lawyers entertained

then there's the added expense of all this. or is that not an issue? are new cars all dirt cheap these days? it's been a while since i bought one. decades.

i think that yang character is right, in his book i mean, where he says you'd most likely see this in the trucking industry first, if it happened. well, he thinks it's definitely going to happen, like, real soon, but i'll wait and see on that front

he thinks a whole lot of truckers are going to get thrown out of their jobs by it. now i've seen truckers say, well there's all kinds of aspects to the job your ai box isn't going to be able to do, but i suspect it wouldn't be too difficult to find a few, relatively low paid (relatively very low paid) flunkees to handle those

but anyway, yeah who knows. hell we could all go up in radioactive flames next thursday.

• Mark

I think they are already in the US.

• ioerr

i think he means when will it happen in a really major way