zach asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 7 months ago

When a government crumbles, what does the UN do?

I've been thinking about this a bunch & I wanna hear what other people think.

If an Island country or territory like Bermuda or Hawaii were to undergo some sort of political unrest that left the local government overthrown, is there anything stopping the new regime? Could the UN interfere during the overthrow in an effort to help the existing government? If they did & failed, how would they respond to the new nation born out of the rubble? Would they see the new order as some sort of hostile power or would they be welcomed into the UN. What would happen after the last domino fell & how seriously would the new nation be taken? How would this apply to other larger nations?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • The U.N. doesn’t care about upholding its Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

• Cathy
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

The UN sends troops to loot resources and valuables

Source(s): Kofi Annan
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It does nothing. It only gets involved if a majority of the members actually vote to do something.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The UN generally only intervenes when genocide is involved, i.e. the Balkans. It's stood by and let Somalia descend into a nation without a real government.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

If the U. N. wanted to interfer in Hawaii, the U. S. would veto it, end of story. As for Bermuda, they have no problems, why not look at countries like Iraq. There they would do nothing unless the Muslim alliance agreed that they should, since the U. N. is spineless.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Nothing. The UN is completely useless.

• 7 months ago

They aren't able to do anything.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.