Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 7 months ago

Is there any realistic way to go back to college?

This might come off as "rant-y", but I just need some advice because I truly feel like I'm wasting my youth and don't know how to realistically move forward in life.

I graduated high school in 2017 and I just turned 21 not long ago. I have a little less than a year of college credits done (I did a full year, but some of the credits got messed up). College was really good most of spring semester, but I had to leave because it was just too expensive for my family and there was extremely little financial aid.

I planned to transfer to a state university and have my mom drive me from home for Fall 2019 but my other college won't release my transcripts until I pay 30k (out of pocket, since that's what my already heavy student loans didn't cover). Unsurprisingly I don't have 30k and neither does my mom. I'm not even allowed to "start over" without any credits because it's a law to have an official transcript from every college I've attended. Most of my graduating class are at least halfway done already and I'm still a freshman "on paper".

I can't do anymore loans, they're too heavy for me even without a car and a house that I'll have to eventually get in the future.

I've always been living with my mom, I just make minimum wage money where it's not realistic.

No, they got messed up because I transferred for spring semester and my college didn't accept those classes.

Ah yes! That's how the institution controls you...through a series of approvals or denials and by either showering you with financial aid or cutting you off.

This isn't an uncommon scenario. Sometimes people have to downgrade from a 4 year school to a community college, from a full time student to a part time student or take a break from college altogether to get a full time job and increase their income for whatever reason. A common situation is if you're not making satisfactory academic progress and lose your financial aid. In that case you'll have to pay out of pocket for tuition and fees so most people will take classes at a more affordable community college in that case.

It's probably a realistic option for you here. You probably still have a lot of 100 and 200 level gen-ed courses so take one or two courses per semester at a community college while working full time to pay off your current debt. You'll still be earning those credits toward your degree program, albeit very slowly, and in the end you can get your credits transferred from your other college and your community college to a state university. It's very death-defying feat though and you gotta make sure you coordinate with the state university you want to attend to make sure all your credits transfer.

• drip

Nothing you can do, but pay off the loan. That is the only way they will release your transcript.

You need to go into the semester knowing how the tuition will be paid in full.

Credits got messed up? You take a class earn a C or above you get the credit for the class. You don’t earn a C you do not get credit. If you left it he middle of the semester then you lost all those credits, plus had to pay for them

Get a job at a factory, you will earn more money. Take the night shift and you will earn more. Cut your expenses where ever you can and put all towards the debt. Get this debt off your back. Yes working for a year to pay it off sucks, but in the long run the best for you.

Then Rethink what you want to do.

Look into two years careers programs at your community colleges. Many will give you a good paying job. You will be out sooner and in a career sooner. And little if no student debt

• martin

You have to work and pay off that $30,000. Maybe living with your mom will cut all expenses and you can get it done in less than a year.