Why was there a Valhalla and an Asgard?

In Norse mythology, people went to Valhalla after they died (in an honorable war death). But why did they not go to Asgard, to live with the gods? Why was there a totally different realm for dead humans vs. the gods? Was it a classist thing?

Favorite Answer

Actually...

when the (brave) gods died they also went to Valhalla.

So: in Norse mythology Valhalla was (part of) the afterlife

while Asgard, like Earth (Midgard), were parts of the land of the living.

• YKhan

Which would indicate that Valhalla was a different realm from Asgard, not just a hall within Asgard.

To get into Asgard you need a visa, and a legal point of entry.

"Wotan moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform"

We mere mortals are not ALLOWED to question the decisions of the Gods.

If one of the Gods gives your child an incurable disease, it is all part of His eternal and perfect Plan.

Norse religion was blasphemous and when Christianity was revealed to the Norse it almost straightaway replaced their untrustworthy and wicked Gods.

Source(s): Bless you, my child.
    • I don't know enough about the spread of Christianity in Scandinavia to really say. I thought King Harry was just like "ok we're christian now"

I've done quite a bit of research on it, (although by all means, I'm nowhere NEAR an expert yet), and have yet to find a good explanation for that. But I imagine probably it's a case of the gods needing some privacy, due to being a different kind of creature than humans altogether, and wanting a place to just be themselves, be equal, etc. Plus also..? I've read that Valhalla is basically Odin's way of building and training his own army, that can help him defeat Fenrir when Ragnarok arrives.

• Joe5 months agoReport

The Bible makes for good toilet paper and when I *** it helps wipe my **** clean

• Valhalla is a hall in Asgard, that's where Odin's warriors go, but mostly everybody else goes to rest in Hell like most other pagan religions. To emphasize, Nonchristian "Hell" is a place your souls goes to REST, not to be tortured.

Also, I noticed you speaking of the beliefs in past tense, as if the story and places within the mythology ended at some point. If it were true then, it would still be true today since Ragnarok hasn't happened yet.

• Tina

curtains 'gleaming disaster' and the threshold of the hall is called Fallandaforad -stumbling block, or pitfall - the dead fall into the grave.

A kind of celestial 'Upstairs, Downstairs'.

Be honest. If you were a god, would you want mere mortals hanging out in your royal palace in the skies?

Why does it matter? They all went to hell anyway.