onthe45 asked in Social ScienceSociology · 5 months ago

Do you think very rich people generally have an easier life and generally get pretty much anything they want in life?

If you are poor, your stress stems from want and survival. If you are middle class, your stress stems from a desire for stability and maintaining a good standard of living. If you are wealthy, your stress stems from a desire to maintain that high standard of living, the envy of others, and the need to manage your wealth so as not to lose it all.

A very rich man stated "There is nothing better for a man than to eat and drink and find enjoyment in his hard work. This too, I have realized, is from the hand of the true God, for who eats and who drinks better than I do?" -- Ecclesiastes chapter 2, verse 24. But this same wise rich king also admitted "A lover of siver will never be satisfied with silver, nor a lover of wealth with income. This too is futility." -- Ecclesiastes chapter 5, verse 10. One of the most profound statement by this king "Just as one came from his mother's womb, naked he will go away, just as he came. And he cannot carry away anything for his hard work." -- Ecclesiastes chapter 5, verse 15.

• David

Of course they have it easier. Doesn't mean they won't screw it up. Having everything handed to you on a silver platter doesn't do much character building.

• Edwena

They have a different set of problems. The basic problems of the average person are resolved and replaced with new problems. The average person will see this as an easier life, but the rich person may see it as stressful. Woody Allen, comedian, whose routine was the way he struck out with women, was asked that now he was rich and famous, did he still strike out with women. He said yes he did, it was just a higher class of women. That is a good explanation of wealth.

Yes they have it easy but not necessarily happy. Rich people do suffer from depression, anxiety or any other health problem that interferes with their happiness. Poor or normal people can be happy too if they have a good family life, mental health and physical health.

But I believe that it's the saints or priests who have the best life because they dont have any materialism. Materialism is the root cause of depression in 80% of cases.

• rick

Managing wealth has a certain responsibility and requires some effort. The effort involved, no matter how difficult, or how easy, is more satisfying, than the effort made by the poor to survive day to day. It's REALLY hard work to be poor!!!! You don't believe me? Let me set you up to live downtown, on $50 a week. Or even $150 a week.

Pretty much, at least qhen it comes to material things.... but you cant buy tallent, or love, or wisdom.

No, think of Michael Jackson or Michael J. Fox or Princess Diana for example.

• Gary

Conservatives get what they want by stealing it. Conservatives are thieves

No. My father was a millionaire and he had the hardest life out of anyone I know. I also had an extremely difficult childhood. Money doesn't solve all of your problems.