Flower girl?

So my aunt is having a wedding and wants me to be a flower girl. I kind of don’t want to be a flower girl but I don’t want to be rude and tell her “no”. The wedding is in about a month or so, by then I’ll be 14. Is that too old to be a flower girl? Also my Aunt said her friends daughter might go who is 5 years old. But my aunt said she may not go and wants me to be the flower girl.

Make it your own and flower the place up in the way only a 14 year-old can.

• One of my family members is older then you are and she was my flower girl. Today there's no age limit on what age a flower girl should be. If there's no other children in your family, that won't cry or have a temper tantrum then it's up to you. Being a flower girl is really not a big deal. You walk down the aisle in a nice outfit and carry a basket or bouquet of flowers and stand by the bride as she says her vows. People will be focusing on the bride, they're only going to watch you for a few seconds.

• Ann

Tell your aunt that you're honored to be included in the wedding, and that the proper position for one of your age is a jr. bridesmaid. However, if she INSISTS, then do it for her. It will make her happy, and it won't be but about three minutes going down the aisle. One thing you might do, instead of carrying one of those dinky little baskets, is to get a large arm basket, and throw many, many petals all over the aisle. That would be more befitting your age than a basket designed for a five year old.

You can come as a Jr bridesmaid but a flower girl is normally six.

• Eva

You are too old to be a flower girl. Girls your age are usually jr. bridesmaids.

• drip

So she wants you standing by in case the five year old won’t walk up the aisle or doesn’t attend.

For the USA, you are too old to be a flower girl. That position is someone under the age of ten.

Just tell your mom you don’t want to participate. No one needs a flower girl in the wedding party.

• Kelly

Yes, it's too old but I think what's happening here is that she's trying to include you so you might need to take one for the team here.

I think a junior bridesmaid would be more appropriate but that's just me, but this is her wedding and her choice.

• Jerry

Kelly, it's not "just you." 14 is way too old for flower girl and the aunt shouldn't have asked. If the bride is trying to not "be awkward" then she'll welcome knowing what is or isn't awkward FOR OTHERS. Thumbs up.

If you don't want to be a flower girl - let her know.

It's entirely optional; and at 14, it does seem a little too old. Junior bridesmaid might be more suitable.

• Kim R

Your aunt probably wants someone who won't balk or run around and cause a problem as a 5 year-old might. This isn't about YOU, dear. Suck it up, look pretty, smile and do a beautiful job of it for your aunt.

This is NOT the time to be Selfish. Do it for your aunt, it will only take a few short minutes of your life.