A person who knows English wants to learn one of the foreign languages like French, German or Spanish. Which language is easier to learn?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

Studies have shown that an English speaker can get further in Spanish in a certain period of time than in French or German. Grammar, spelling and pronunciation are all generally simpler in Spanish in the early stages.

• 4 months ago

I'd say they're equally difficult for an English speaker.

German belongs to the same language family as English, but their grammar, syntax and vocabulary are substantially different. On the other hand, French and Spanish are classified into a different language family, but Old English borrowed thousands of Latin and French words due to historical reasons. However, modern English core vocabulary, grammar and syntax are still somewhat closer to those of other Germanic languages. Germanic and Latin-based languagues are all Indo-European, which means they're more similar to one another than any of them is to languages like Arabic, Chinese, Basque, Yoruba or Japanese.

• 4 months ago

Basic Spanish is pretty easy. French might be a little closer to English.

German grammar is complicated.

• John P
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Possibly Spanish, in its basic stages. But note that I was better at French than at German, but my wife (in a different school) was better at German than at French. We concluded that it was the quality of the teachers which made much of the difference.

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

In my opinion....Spanish, although I prefer Portuguese myself.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

For the AVERAGE native speaker of English, German is a little more work than French or Spanish - 750 hours of class vs 600. Esperanto is even easier (150 hours...)

Source(s): US Foreign Service Institute
  • 4 months ago

It's personal / depends on people: certain will tell you it's German, some other French, etc...

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

German is more closely related to English than French or Spanish.

• Pontus
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Only basic words are Germanic (meaning Old English or Old Norse, not from German directly). It's not always obvious that a German and an English word are related.

• 4 months ago

Spanish is in my view the easiest and for US people the most useful.

• 4 months ago

I'd say Spanish is the easiest.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Spanish, then French, then German. Grammar is the primary difference.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.