Why have 6 gears on bikes?

My fz6 is still revvy in top

If it is revvy in top gear, then your clutch is slipping. Soon you will not move forward at all. You need a new clutch. Have a bike mechanic assess it for you. I can only go by what you say(guessing at what you are trying to say)...and translate it as best as I can into mechanical language.

• fuzzy

Depends on the state of tune of the engine. Highly tuned engines have a comparitively narrow power band & need more gears to keep the engine in it.Lower tuned engines have a wider power band & can get away with fewer gears. Extreme case the Suzuki 50 cc Grand Prix bike which had a 14 speed gearbox!

I Love 6 speeds. The VStar and old Honda Four, only 5. Great for in town, less shifting, but Kinda "buzzy" on the freeway. Heck, I remember only 4 on my older Triumphs and Baby Hondas. 3 on my WLA. thought 5 on my '78 Bonnevile was Cool.

My Harley mutters at 80 in 6th. I averaged 46 MPH on way home from Mormon Lake at 80 .

I saw a Heritage Softail for only $6900, but, an '05 with only 5 speeds. 88 inch engine, too, not enuff. No....

It Saves Fuel and 5 gears are not enough

• Lv 6

4 were great on my 1953 Ariel 350 and 5 is great on my R65 BMW

Horses for courses Imagine my Black night with 6 gears

• Fred

Race regulations only allow 6 different gears. The larger percentage of industry follows suit.

Why 6 gears? It depends on what you ride, the way you ride, and the performance you demand out of the bike.

because 5 wasn't enough

I find myself wishing for another gear on my Fazer 1000 sometimes, so I can appreciate your frustration. Try changing the rear cog with one less tooth. That will alleviate the top end problem but you'll sacrifice acceleration. I don't think it will be drastic, however.

To confuse riders, it's that easy.

6th gear is like over-drive, nice for cruising down the highway at lower RPM but worthless for power.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs.
    • Cap'n. America

The Honda Might go to 120 in a "few seconds" in 5th but I want to Live until full retirement...

Gears allow the revs to be kept in the usable torque range for a given engine. You need six on a FZ6; those motors are relatively gutless and if you want to make swift progress you have to use the revs and 'box. The gearbox doesn't make an engine less buzzy; it is what it is. The job of the gearbox is to allow the rider to make best use of the engine's power (torque) characteristics

• Rightman

My pre-test bike managed fine with 5 gears, and trust me, they don't come more gutless than a 125 Varadero.