T asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 5 months ago

Would you allow your kids to watch old Disney movies that are now considered controversial for their portrayals of women and minorities?

like Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp, the Little Mermaid etc. Or make sure they avoid them and let them be in the ash heap of history?

as my YOUNGEST will be 38 next month & has two kids, I'd trust her judgement .....................

Source(s): Grand Dad of Twelve.

Yes, and I'd use it as a talking point.

• edward

The classic Christmas song “Baby it’s Cold Outside” is not even allowed to be played on the radio because of idiots who think it’s indicative of forcing a woman to do something she doesn’t. (As if) the old Disney movies are in the same situation but they are beloved movies, many of them have live action remakes these days but it doesn’t change the fact that the modern movies are exactly the same in a lot of aspects

• Marla

Of course not. A child is not educated by sheltering him or her from the world. Kids are educated by showing them ALL and guiding them. I would watch it with them and discuss these aspects. Even small kids can reason and be critical.

I would and did. My daughter loved The Little Mermaid and it did her no harm.

• Etta

My daughter did just as her kids did

Yeah, I'd let my son watch them. He even watched Tom and Jerry and loved it.

To each their own. I won't tell anyone what to do with their kids.

Would insist they watch. So they can appreciate how far we've come. And they can see how bad things were.

Yes.

And I'll tell you why. 🥴 I like their portrayals. I think they're funny.

I started watching old shows and saw how Hollywood also depicted minorities (Pacific Islanders and Native Americans). 😄 Yes, it IS racist. But they make me laugh.

Source(s): Minority female who cracks up at the minority damsel in distress roles. 😄