Andrew asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 5 months ago

Why do some people think life has no meaning?

Take this philosophy category.

Half-decent philosophers think mistakenly that Philosophy CANNOT provide any ordinary life answers.

And so the religious ones think that they have "the pickings" from those that still ask about

some meaning & can provide some meaning / faith in a higher Being as an answer.

Societal pressures may play-a-role... certainly the societal pressure of the current philosophy called

"Popular-ism" is causing big pressures - giving some false meaning to the "racists" and to the

"extremists" of the non-liberal western peoples.

Millions of them have been heard bullying one female (together with a leader who started it).

This then gives-them-meaning.. a way of "taking back political control" of their lives.

Source(s): type philosophy criticism
    • peter m

information CLASHING with here objective philosophy).

Define the word 'meaning'! That's a debate in its own right.

• peter m

fortunately "definition-ism" is Not philosophy.

Because they either have meaningless goals or have no goals at all.

• kim

To me society is a hard place and this is the end times. People are lovers of themselves, and pleasure. There are few communities that are out there caring for the homeless. Guns drugs sexual everything abounds. Television is a wasteland. Children are not baptized, faith's at an all time low. Who can thrive in this mess! We need to look up because our maker is close by, wait to call upon his mercy and you will run out of time.

• e9601:

They are not happy with themselves. No one is going to wave a magic wand and make it better. Look inside yourself, is God in your life? That is where it all starts.

They don't have very much in their lives and can't seem to keep themselves busy so they end up in a cycle of depression or boredom

Because life is hard for many people.

In my case it’s not that I feel it has no meaning, it’s just that I feel the meaning involves little else than a lot of suffering and pain. And that comes from not having a loving and supportive family to begin with. Without that foundation, we are doomed to a life of suffering. No amount of psychotherapy and definitely no amount of psychiatric drugs will help you. In fact the latter will probably make you even worse. And the former will just be a waste of time because if you didn’t have that basic loving family structure it’s not likely that sitting in an office once or twice a week and talking to a somebody you have no family ties with is going to change anything for the better. There’s no substitute for a loving and supportive family. That’s been my personal experience anyway. If you have children, it’s very likely that the whole cycle will be repeated in their lives as well. Chances are you will end up being divorced because you were not capable of seeking out healthy relationships

• e9601:

I grew up without a loving family. I'm an adult now and love my life. The reason being, I set out to have a fulfilled life. It is possible.

because they keep looking for it on the outside....

• j153e

Some of the factors are likely:

1. anhedonia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia

2. lack of belief/faith in a higher, saving Being

3. personal psychological complexes;

4. societal pressures ---> sense of hopelessness.