James asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

How can I stop my German shepherd from destroying my couch?

He destroyed one very nice couch already. We bought a brand new one this past Christmas and used a couch cover but today j came hk.e and he tore the cover and shredded a cushion. I'm at my wits end. I can't give him up and u can't shoot him. Any ideas how to stop him once and for all?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Keep it outside. GS don't need to be stuck in a house. Can't do that, surrender it.

• 5 months ago

you need to tire him out more.

A long run before you leave in the morning and then kennel him.

We had a basset hound that used to dump the trash and play in it when we left her at home. To top it off, she would then take a poop in the middle of the trash mess.

We bought her an indoor kennel, one of the kids was tasked with a long walk before we left and then she was kenneled..end of problem.

• 5 months ago

Bored dogs can be very destructive. Not enough exercise is the biggest issue. He could run 2 or 3 miles, 2 or 3 times daily. You could get some of the interactive toys/puzzles to stimulate his mind. He doesn't have anything to do & gets bored & becomes destructive.

You could train him in Basic Obedience. I recommend going to classes. An 8 week course trains your dog in Basic obedience & you will have more control over your dog. You will have an obedient dog. That alone won't stop the destruction but it will give you the upper hand.

He just needs something to do so he doesn't get bored. Buy some good chews to keep him busy. Lots are out there, some good some bad but there is a slew of stuff to keep a dog busy.

I buy knuckle bones from the butcher at Walmart for my dogs to chew on. But they get buried & they choose to chew on tree limbs & branches that have fallen form some of the trees. Antler is a great chew & it lasts a long time. Google interactive toys/puzzles for dogs.

• 5 months ago

There could be several reasons for this.

If you have lived in several houses, your GSD does not know that you will come back.

If you work full time, he will be bored lonely and miserable.

GSD's need a lot of exercise, consequently you should take him for a LONG walk before you leave him, then try to get home at lunch time to enable him to get a pee.

Or get a dog walker to take him out at lunchtime. You must then rush home from work and take him for another LONG walk.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

● "How can I stop my German shepherd from destroying my couch?"

As a German shepherd is a German man or boy who looks after sheep, tell him in Deutsche (German) that he is NOT allowed to damage YOUR furniture etc.

Assuming that you are referring to "my" breed, the Deutscher Schäferhund that was developed to HERD sheep: learn that its breed-name translates as 3 words in English, each needing a capital initial, giving

German Shepherd Dog.

And there are only 2 ways to stop his misbehaviour.

🤢1: There is ALWAYS someone WITH him, NEVER leaving him unobserved, NEVER letting him climb on furniture.

🤯2: Move to a suitable residence, one with a back door that opens straight into an enclosed yard (note how high GSDs CAN jump: https://blog.theanimalrescuesite.greatergood.com/c... ) in which is a roofed exercise run with a raised sleeping box at the far end, where he lives while no-one can supervise him, until such time as his owner has been COACHED for about a year on how to train their current GSD and so has corrected the bad behaviours that used to be ignored.

Learn that in Stanley Coren's survey of North American obedience judges, the GSD was rated #3 for intelligence and trainability. Sounds good - until you realise that INTELLIGENT children & dogs get BORED so invent activities to relieve their boredom. Lacking COMPETENT trainers, they soon end up training their pet-human.

💥If this is YOUR GSD, how many months have YOU been in a weekly training group with him, getting COACHED to improve your awareness, body-language, consistency of commands and hand signals, timing & use of the leash, praise & rewards, voice-tones?

💥If this is your girlfriend's GSD, how long has SHE been in that group?

💥Nor have you told us your pet's AGE, how LONG you've had him, and whether he is fertile or neutered.

These things MATTER!

Also please learn to CHECK and CORRECT your typing before posting it.

"today j came hk.e" and "u" are NOT English expressions.

There are many people in Y!A for whom English is only the 2nd or 3rd language. Make it possible for them to UNDERSTAND what you have typed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

😛 To discuss GSDs, join some groups such as

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GSD_Friendly/i...

by sending an e-mail about yourself to the Subscribe address on that page.

The people in them KNOW about GSDs. Plus you can include several actual photos in your posts.

To find other groups or breeds, type the breed-name into the top field of

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir

then choose a couple of groups to Join - use the group's

Message History

on its /info page to make sure that it still has members who are ACTIVE.

😛 To discuss a breed, type the breed-name into the top field of

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir

then choose a couple of groups to Join - use the group's

Message History

on its /info page to make sure that it still has members who are ACTIVE. Then send an e-mail about yourself to the Subscribe address on that page.

The people in them KNOW about that breed. Plus you can include several actual photos in your posts.

😛 Also join

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/The_GSD_Source...

so that you can easily look up all sorts of information about dogs, especially GSDs. It is an "encyclopaedia" group (to which members can ask for new sources to be added), not a discussion group.

King Les The Lofty - first pup in 1950; GSD breeder & trainer as of 1968

• 5 months ago

1. More EXERCISE - a tired dog is usually easier to live with

2. Remove dog from couch - assuming you can't remove couch from dog!!

3. This is his way of telling you he's not happy being left alone. His form of separation anxiety and typical when dogs are spending long hours alone at home.

4. If this is happening (long hours alone) you might either get somebody to come in to be with him mid-way during the time you are out, or a day creche where he won't be alone, or destroying your furnishings.

5. In cases like this, I'd NOT remotely consider using a crate. That WOULD, in my opiniion, be cruel and won't help why he's behaving like this.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Dogs chew because they are anxious, bored, under exercised,left alone for too long, as chewing relieves their anxiety......and because you are leaving your dog with freedom to choose. Your dog is unaware about old and new and you will be making his anxiety worse each time you arrive home because of your reaction when you 'find' something that has been chewed.

The dog NEEDS lead walking each and every day and certainly before you leave it alone, it needs containing in a room where there are no items you treasure/don't want chewed, you need to leave things the dog can chew, like a raw marrow bone and building up the length of time you leave your dog alone, employing a dog walker to walk the dog if left in your home while you are working.

Once a dog starts chewing something it will go back and chew it again...so not allowing it access to the couch is how you stop it and increase the training, lead walking, exercise it already gets

• patty
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

buy him some toys and play with him Theres something called a Kong and u put food inside and he spends ages trying to get the food out. does he have basic training? take him for 2 walks a day to tire him out. Young dogs do this stuff and they grow out of it.

• 5 months ago

I've known a lot of german shepards and a lot of destroyed furniture. They go hand in hand.

• King Les The Lofty
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

There is no word "german", no such thing as a "shepard".
      So you have no known ANY :"german shepards".

• 5 months ago

well.. definitely don't shoot him. how about trying to just keep him out of the room that the couch is in? or only allowing him near the couch when you're there to supervise him, and then if he goes after it firmly reprimand him. you could keep him in a crate or cage when you're not home, which is usually a good method for puppies.

• E. H. Amos
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Room with the couch need to be LOCKED-OFF from the dog. However, no telling what will happen to your mattress....next.
      Have you considered doggie day care?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.