Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 5 months ago

please help. does anybody know what this could be?

My daughter (17 years old) is obsessed with always moving or being moved. for example, if i'm driving and she's sitting in the car, she'd listen to music and look out the window and it would be good, but as soon as I stop at a stop sign or red light she would get super annoyed and angry. Also she walks a lot, she cannot stay still. movement seems to calm her down. she loves the swings at the park. she never wants to stop moving or be moved, or she'll get extremely irritated and upset. Is this a concern or is it just teenage years that she'll grow out of? Thank you

• Angie

Did this behavior begin suddenly? Symptoms of ADHD, along with many other common adolescent psychological/mental/neurological disorders most often begin at a much younger age. If this behavior began suddenly, and if you have noticed other changes in her personality, weight, appetite, social interests, etc., I would be highly concerned about drug use. She should see a doctor right away, and I would insist on a complete drug/toxicology screening. If her drug/toxicology screening is normal, she needs a full medical evaluation. If her general practitioner can find no explanation for her behavior, she should be evaluated by a mental health professional as well as a neurologist. If you choose to do a drug/toxicology screening, I would not give her any kind of advanced notice. Certain drugs, such as methamphetamine, is sometimes not delectable in certain tests for long periods of time. Methamphetamine is often not detectable in urine after only three days from the last time it was used. Her abnormally high energy levels and her unreasonable, irrational anger and irritability can certainly be attributed to many other things, but I think it is very important to rule out drug use.

Sounds like ADHD

Has she been checked for aspergers or high functioning autism? That's not part of being a teenager that's abnormal behavior.

Sounds like she has a lot on her mind that's troubling her and she is soothed by activity (of any sort). I would sit her down and try to talk to her about her problems.

ADHD possibly not sure

if she has to be constantly moving, maybe look into ADD/ADHD? people with that have a hard time keeping still and get anxious or irritated when they do have to. i don't know though, i'm just guessing here.

does she also shake her legs and feet a lot when sitting down? is she always unable to stay still? that's a problem.