Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 5 months ago

Does smoking really kill you?

I think it's all a lie, my grandmother has been smoking since she was 16 and she is 87 now. That's a very long life, my grandfather also smoked and he just died at 90. Why do people say it kills if people are still living long?

Perhaps it depends on the genetics of a person. But you dont take it for granted that by smoking you will also not have any harm. Cultivate good habits.

Some people are more susceptible to smoking related diseases than others. My family is one of those who should not be smoking, I lost my paternal grandmother, my paternal grandfather and two out of three paternal aunts to smoking related diseases, all died in their 60's. I still have my youngest aunt and my father, but for my father that's a small miracle, he's had smoking related heart attacks, lung cancer, and has COPD. He's in his mid 70's now, but he's had countless surgeries, is dependent on oxygen to breathe and has had a lowered quality of life for some 20 years.

And that's not counting all of my father's aunts, uncles and cousins who have died from smoking. They've been dropping like flies.

So, if you want to smoke, I guess the question is: Do you feel lucky?

Personally I don't get why people start smoking. Even if it doesn't kill you it costs money, it stinks, it gives bad breath, it's easy to become addicted, and your skin tends to age faster.

It killed my grandfather and my uncle. It killed my husband's boss. It killed actors Patrick Swayze, Michael Landon and Yul Brynner. Your ancestors may have been resistant to the effects of smoking, but they only account for half of your genetics. So you're taking a risk if you start smoking and get addicted. Are your life and health worth that risk?

Anything can kill you.

• angie

Inhaling toxic smoke into your lungs coats them in in thin layers of tar as you expel it.

It is briefly and clearly explained in Season 10, Episode 2 of Columbo TV series (Caution: Murder Can Be Hazardous to Your Health).

It affects some people differently. My great grandfather smoked all his life and lived to be in his 90s. Other people don't smoke but are married to smokers and they die at 50. It depends on your genetics.

Smoking doesn't kll you unless you somehow managed to asphyxiate yourself, but smoking kills is a lot snappier a sound byte than saying smoking is related to health risks such as an increased incidence of cancers which may or not be fatal. Smoking is like playing Rusian Roulette, some people get lucky, others do not. So you gotta aks yourself a question..Do you feel lucky, punk?

• lala

NO its a lie

its not healthy but it doesnt kill you

nah its just a myth... my neighbor smokes ciggies everyday and he is 83.