Donna asked in Social SciencePsychology · 5 months ago

How do I get over the feeling of embarrassment?

I work in reception at a University, I’ve been there for 3 years and have had students be extremely rude to me but it never bothered me. Today a student called me and told me she was sexually abused by a teacher, she has spoken to my manager and was expecting a call today. I told her my manager was on the phone but I’ll take a message, she started swearing at me for the next 20 minutes and there were other students waiting in reception so I couldn’t even say anything to defend myself. I put her on hold so she called again on a different phone. I felt helpless so I went to my manager and just started crying. Now I just feel too embarrassed to go to work tomorrow because it was such a stupid reason to cry.

I have cried I think 3 times at work and after each time I was very embarrassed. That feeling will pass. You should just tell your manager that if that situation happens again you will be prepared and you were just shocked that someone would talk that way to a stranger.

You’re obviously a compassionate person with feelings from what you’ve written so far. Otherwise you might’ve just slam the phone down on this woman immediately. You must have felt some kind of empathetic response. It’s not a ‘stupid reason to cry’. You really don’t need a ‘reason’ to cry. It’s just an emotional reaction. And our emotions are subject to all kinds of influences. People in this country have this hangup about crying. Particularly if you’re a man. According to what I’ve read there are stress hormones that get released through your tears when you cry which is actually why you feel calmer afterwards. The body is an amazing organism and knows what it’s doing. Sometimes we should just let it. What’s better to cry or to keep it bottled up inside and start yelling at somebody or hurt somebody? Maybe that’s what happened to this woman, she couldn’t release her own grief/trauma through tears, so she went off. Classic trauma reaction. You just happened to pick up the phone

You dont. I live a constate state of embarrassment

• Joe

You're just a kid. Relax. Dealing with situations like that takes experience. Don't quit though....that's the worst thing you can do.

• Eva

Your mistake was staying on the phone letting her abuse you for 20 minutes. You should have just said that there was no need for her to talk to you like that and hung up on her.

I don't think that's silly or embarrassing at all. It was a traumatic event, for you and your caller, and you were jammed up by circumstances and unable to respond. I'd add this tho - look for some anger in there mixed in with the embarrassment. You took quite a beating yourself and it wasn't like you did something to deserve it - that makes us mad. There may be no proper response you can make about it, but it helps to realize it when we're mad too. Otherwise it just roams around inside us doing mischief.

Interacting with people isn't your cup of tea. Find some other occupation.

Just say you were extra emotional yesterday because you were on the rag.