Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 7 months ago

Why are dirt bikes illegal to ride on the streets?

Favorite Answer

No license plate, no turn signals, no street tires, no horn, no insurance, not street legal.

• Road warrior

Only restriction on tires in US is; no metal tiring/studs on public roadway. Law does not car if knobbies or not.

• Scott

No mirrors, headlight, taillight, or brake light. Not designed for on-road use.

Don't pass smog. no turn signals, brake lights, headlamps, license plates.

Most don't have insurance, either. You can insure anything, with enough money. Lloyds of London will. Possibly Homeowners may cover it. Mine did when my dog bit a kid in Goldfield, which is 200 miles from my property.

SERIOUSLY?......Your home schooling was a dismal failure. Do you also wonder why airplanes aren't allowed on the streets? Tanks? submarines?

• Iva

WHY NOT THEY CAN BE CLEAN???

Who cares? They are and they aren't depending on where you live.

Once was taking a short-cut home on my dirt-bike on the street and saw a police car coming at me, did a quick u-turn, went back to the trail and took the long way home. Double illegal but I won.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs

Don't. have legally required lights and silenced exhaust. Since they don't meet legal specs also unlicenced and uninsured.

• Road warrior

Who says uninsured? You can insure almost anything. Many have at least some liability on all vehicles and anti-theft with their Homeowner's. Read it, it's amazing what is covered.

Here they have to have suitable tyres, be fitted with an adequate silencer, have a horn, a speedo and be registered with a number plate (plus MoT if appropriate). With that they're fine as long as the rider is licenced and is insured.

The laws vary by where you live. Where I live they are legal on streets where the speed limit is 45 or below. The dirt bikes do not have the power or designed to have tire traction to be safe on roads above those speeds. They are designed to run on "dirt."

• marty

They aren t where I live as long as you have them licensed