Why do people choose career paths/majors that they know won't be able to financially support them?

For exmaple, my sister majored in anthropology and knew that it would never be a lucrative career. She was unemployed for 3 years after graduating college and has been working for 5 years and is now 31 years old and is still making $15 an hour. She still can't move out of our parents home and likely won't... show more For exmaple, my sister majored in anthropology and knew that it would never be a lucrative career. She was unemployed for 3 years after graduating college and has been working for 5 years and is now 31 years old and is still making $15 an hour. She still can't move out of our parents home and likely won't be able to until she is 40 and still has over 5,000$ in student loan debt
Update: Average 1 br apartment rent in my area is about $1300-$1500 a month so you need to make about $27/hour to qualify for most places