Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 5 months ago

Why do people choose career paths/majors that they know won't be able to financially support them?

For exmaple, my sister majored in anthropology and knew that it would never be a lucrative career. She was unemployed for 3 years after graduating college and has been working for 5 years and is now 31 years old and is still making $15 an hour. She still can't move out of our parents home and likely won't be able to until she is 40 and still has over 5,000$ in student loan debt

Update:

Average 1 br apartment rent in my area is about $1300-$1500 a month so you need to make about $27/hour to qualify for most places

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Some are just shortsighted and assume that if they just make it through college, everything else will automatically work itself out.

Others get bit by being unable or unwilling to assess their employability relative to their peers. For example, if the job market can only provide jobs for 50% of the graduates from a given field, the percentage of students who will think that they can make it into the top 50% and land a job is far greater than 50%. Obviously not all of them can be right.

• cool
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Because they are being forced to attend college by their parents.

So in their mind, they might as well do something they are interested in. I find it funny that parents prefer to push their children to spend large amounts of time/money on their 'education' even when it means having children living at home well into their 20s.

• 5 months ago

Some of the people who choose those high-paying jobs are miserable because they hate what they do. We regularly see posts here from engineers or pre-med students who are pressured into high-paying careers by their parents but who would prefer to be artists, actors or something else less lucrative. But their parents expect to be supported in their old age, so they pressure their kids into fields such as engineering or something health-related.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Some people aren’t smart enough for stem or business so it’s either a useless major or no college. And contrary to popular belief every meathead isn’t cut out for the military or trade school either. I know two people who didn’t work out in trade school. One is incredibly daft and just couldn’t keep up because it was too fast paced. Another is physically disabled and he just didn’t have the coordination to hack it in his program. Also some people just like learning and have family that supports them or take classes for fun.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Because they love it. They would rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable.

• 5 months ago

Perhaps she didn't realize it wouldn't financially support them. Perhaps she thinks she is smarter than she really is...

My wife studied something which could have been worthless...but she is now a TV Producer...

• Satan
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Some people have dreams, and try to attain them.

Sometimes its better to have tried to have reached for them, than to wonder what could have been

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Because money isn't everyone's top priority (until they realize how much they need it) and not everyone makes good decisions 100% of the time - including you.

Your sister is still living at home with her parents subsidizing her life and yet she's not gone back to school or decided to learn a skilled trade. Part of the problem here is your parents. They are enabling her.

P.S. Your sister doesn't have to live in a one bedroom apartment or make $27/hour. Ever heard of a two bedroom and a roommate? But as I said, she's better off staying at home and obtaining some job skills or education that will earn her more money in the future.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

debt is the problem ... most people could do fine at any job if they didnt try to live beyond their means and used their head

• ?
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Many. One is that the people were being encouraged to follow their passion and it would lead to riches somehow. People also underestimate how sneaky the people who get the high paying jobs get in dismantling any competition.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.