Agree or disagree: a candidate' past views should be taken into account even if they had "evolved" into a different view currently?

Favorite Answer

Yes, of course, and that's what normal, intelligent adults do as a matter of course.

I think that people have a right to change their mind about something. We often make a choice based upon the information we have at the time. Well, when we know more or new facts are revealed, then it could sway our previous thought process into another direction.

I used to think that guns were bad, bad, bad. But, when Hurricane Katrina blew threw Louisiana, the cold hard facts of the matter were that our government was not there to protect the people who ended up in a state of chaos to fend for themselves. That scared the crap out of me and snapped me into reality that if such an event happens again, I only have myself to depend upon to keep my family and my emergency supplies safe. So, I learned how to shoot, clean and store a gun when I qualified for a permit to carry a firearm.

So, I did a complete turn around on my previous view on guns.

People have the right to change their minds. The problem that I have with politicians is that they make campaign promises to get elected and then do not follow through once they are in office. That is a whole other story of manipulating the voters.

People will base their decision in that regard on whatever they like. What you or I feel they "should" do is irrelevant.

That depends. Past view from a couple years ago? Past view from 40 years ago? It matters. What the particular view as also matters.

Absolutely agree. How else would we know that their views had evolved if we don't know where they started out from?

Yes.

Yes.

Why?

Do you have some dirt on Joe, Svetlana?

:D

jk..

A person can change, but we should be able to understand how and why they did to make an informed choice.

A politicians views often aren’t even “their views”

And then you’ve Bernie Sanders, who has been making the same speeches since he was 21

Source(s): Bernie 2020... and beyond!

No. We cannot judge a person's past actions while social mores have been rapidly changing. For instance, when I was a child, Blacks had to go to the kitchen entrance and order takeout food; they were not allowed in restaurants. Black and white couples were just plain illegal in many places.

Didn’t Trump used to be liberal at one point?

Oh sure. Sounds fine.