Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 5 months ago

Can you cuddle with a bird?

I will be getting a cockatiel soon. Will I be able to cuddle with it?

Yes but If it arrived at your house a a few days ago it’s better not to force it to cuddle with you because it barely knows you and will probably not be comfortable with you. Maybe wait a week or 3 until it gets comfortable with you hand feeding it,Putting your hand in the cage and taking it out the cage while it’s on your finger and let it get close to you. You never know maybe they don’t like cuddles in general so don’t expect it to try and cuddle with you-Zen

I hand reared from birth a Cockatiel and he was cuddly. I would leave his cage door open and If I decided to take a nap he would fly over to me and sit under my chin all fluffed up and asleep. I would never suggest this but I,m a light sleeper and don't stir much, but birds are delicate creatures and you have to be careful when handling them.

I mean you can but who cuddles with birds and I don't think they really cuddle back.

watch out for bird flu

I have had 2 cockatiels. Both were hand reared. Both were cuddly.

You have to cuddle gently, of course.

My first liked to cuddle up to my neck and under my chin.

My current one likes to sit on my lap and will cuddle in under a cupped hand.

All birds have different personalities. You cannot guarantee that the one you get will be cuddly, but you can definitely work on establishing a bond with it. Some birds are cuddly, some aren't, same with any animal you get.