How to be a vampire...?

I am writing a story, a vampire story. I have played around with a few ideas on how the change happens but I can't seem to find a theory I think is 'believable'.

What are the ways that you know of to become a vampire?

Any suggestion is welcome!

• Marli
    Favorite Answer

The Dewey decimal classification for Library of Congress Subject heading "Vampires" is 398.45 ("Ghouls and ogres" are in the same range since they are considered part of Mythology.) This is for non-fiction books about vampires I'll give you my library catalogue's link (I had to narrow the focus to non-fiction because I came up with over 600 entries. Both fiction and non fiction was over 2,000 entries.

See if your library has books in that Dewey class or with the subject headings in any of the records that interest you. Perhaps your library can get titles you want through interlibrary loan.

• John

An actual vampire?

Well you see the word vampire is Transylvanian for murderer.

So, since you want write a story about murder you figure out psychotic I think the medical word is or look at serial killers I imagine.

Crazy huh? Watch "Buffy the vampire Slayer" you get all kinds of wierd ideas about what the word "vampire" means when it's simply "murderer" in the language of the little known country of Transylvania.

Ever hear of it?

• Zac Z

Transylvania is not a country, it's a region in south-eastern Europe, in what is now Romania.
      Transylvanian is not a language, either.
      This is the first time I heard that vampire means murderer. Do you have a source for this dubious claim?

Reading books related to it would give an idea

..............................

Eat so much garlic u get sick of it and it hurts to even go near it duh

Your story, your vampire, YOUR decision as to how to make your vampire be a vampire.

I don't know what you mean by 'believable'. NO method you come up with is going to be 'believable', for the very simple reason that there ARE no vampires.

So you might as well have fun in coming up with some methods, and 'believability' should be at the very bottom of your list.

• Andrew

The history of vampires in works of fiction and folklore goes back a very long time and they've appeared in stories and legends from many different cultures. Anybody with the inclination to delve into the variations on their origin that different cultures have devised would be in for a real treat as there are dozens of them. In some cultures, people might rise from their grave to become a vampire if their grave were to be disturbed after they were interred. People in other cultures believed that people morphed into vampires if their bodies hadn't been properly cleaned and dressed prior to burial. In more modern times there have been a host of different methods of creating new vampires ranging from curses to being bitten by an existing vampire, and many authors have simply worked it into their books and stories that for all intents and purposes, vampires have always existed, and the split between humans and vampires happened so far in the past that the story of their origin has been lost in the mists of time.

So it would seem that you have a great many options available to you if you would only look into them. It's rather strange that you find the few you've considered already to be too unbelievable. I mean, it's not as though you've met any actual vampires as to the best of our knowledge, they don't exist. So what would make one method of creating one any more plausible than the next?

And if you intend to write a story, don't you think that you ought to summon all of the creativity and imagination that you can bring to the table to do it? Asking strangers on the internet doesn't count as doing real research. What you're doing is asking other people to do your footwork and your thinking for you. If you don't have the determination, the dedication and the diligence to work things out for yourself, then you probably don't have what it takes to write a story anyway. And before you foolishly begin to sling barbs at people who point that very simple truth out to you, take a minute to digest the inherent logic there.

• John

Prick your jugular vein - the one in your neck that vampires are supposed to bite - even the tiniest bit and blood will come out in buckets. And without professional medical treatment there is no possibility that you will live. So there's that.

Here is the list of ways to become a vampire:

1. Being bitten by another vampire and it not killing you

The change could happen due to:

a. A parasite

b. A virus

c. Black Magic

d. Other DNA/RNA changes like radiation

e. A dozen other ways and variations covered in hundreds of stories about vampires.

However you write it, hopefully it will be less about how one becomes a vampire and more about how the characters deal with being, becoming, and/or defending themselves against vampires.

And yes, as Mark implies, Vampires have been done to death, both as romantic and terror characters.

• Lola5 months agoReport

Rather then this be a story about a 100 year old vampire falling in love with a human girl, it's more about the journey from human to vampire and that means discussing and detailing the how... then going on to how to cope with the new life.

Thank you for your answers.

• Mark

A story about vampires? Hmm.... Are you a frowzy teenage girl, perchance? Well, they ride unicorns over rainbows and sprinkle glitter on people before they lovingly bite the victim's necks. Oh, and then they eat a whole cheesecake.

• Whatever

What's ridiculous is how hilariously defensive you are.