Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 6 months ago

My mother had breast cancer but we have no family history of breast cancer. What’s the percentage I might get it? Is there a chance?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If no-one else had breast cancer, your risk is not much higher than any random case. It's a good idea to start your mammograms ten years before your mother's age when the cancer was diagnosed. Many women start around 45. I had an aggressive breast cancer, caught when it was tiny because the scan was compared with a previous scan.

• LAN
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No way to know. Most cancer isn't a matter of genetics. If you are really concerned have your mother ask her oncologist for you.

• Pippin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Statistically, about one in 8 women will develop breast cancer -- and most of those have no family history.

• 6 months ago

How old eas she? Which type of breast cancer did she have?

There are more than 17 DIFFERENT types of breast cancer.

About 8% of breast cancers are linked to an inherited genetic risk.

If your mother's breast cancer was not linked to an inheritable genetic risk then she cannot pass that rosk on to you.

Talk to your doctor. Find out details of your mother's full diagnosis before you do. Her treating oncologist would be able to tell her if there was any inheritable risk factor in her type of breast cancer.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

You would have to talk to a geneticist or an oncologist.

• 6 months ago

hopefully you wont, i would ask your doctor about it

• patty
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

high estrogen levels can cause this

• 6 months ago

I think you need to learn what "family history" means.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.