How come I can see "Last active status 1d ago" on a person's facebook messenger when they have not been online for more than 24 hours?

For some of my friends who don't go online for over 24+ hours, their last active status will disappear and it will only say "Messenger" next to their name, but for other friends it will say they were "Last active 1d ago". What gives?
Update: I should clarify: For some friends, I noticed once it's been 24+ hours their active status completely disappears and then their status reappears again when they come online, so I don't think it's because they turned off their active status. I assumed it was the same for everyone but for some people... show more I should clarify:

For some friends, I noticed once it's been 24+ hours their active status completely disappears and then their status reappears again when they come online, so I don't think it's because they turned off their active status. I assumed it was the same for everyone but for some people even after 24+ hours, instead of their status disappearing like the other people, their status shows "Last active 1d ago".