Jade asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 months ago

What's the purpose of putting sugar in sauce for hot wings or buffalo wings?

I can understand for sweet flavored wings like barbecue or sweet chili, but why for hot wings or flavors you don't associate sweetness to,

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

To caramelize it, the sugar burns and it goes sticky and yummy.

• To provide balance. Even barbecue sauces will have some sugar to provide balance among the savoury/spicy.

• IvaB
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Imo. adding sugar is meant to be a counter-point to the full brunt of the heat in the sauce,it adds some flavor and texture as well,but.If you don't like dialing down the heat a bit,just don't use the sugar.easy peasy

• 5 months ago

You don't need. I made hot sauce for years from scratch at a restaurant and never used sugar. At least not in the traditional Buffalo sauce version. I would use some BBQ sauce in some versions that had sugar in it already, but I never added more sugar.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • CB
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Bobby Flay made a career using his "sweet and spicy" method of seasoning food. Sweet and heat just works sometimes.

• 5 months ago

Only in small amounts to balance out the flavors.

• 5 months ago

a small amount adds another level of flavor..kind of like when you add salt to a cake or cookie recipe.

• 5 months ago

Adding small amounts of sugar to any tomato-based sauce during the cooking process will stop the sauce from being bitter.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Some people love sugar.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.