Jade asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 months ago

What's the purpose of putting sugar in sauce for hot wings or buffalo wings?

I can understand for sweet flavored wings like barbecue or sweet chili, but why for hot wings or flavors you don't associate sweetness to,

To caramelize it, the sugar burns and it goes sticky and yummy.

• To provide balance. Even barbecue sauces will have some sugar to provide balance among the savoury/spicy.

• IvaB

Imo. adding sugar is meant to be a counter-point to the full brunt of the heat in the sauce,it adds some flavor and texture as well,but.If you don't like dialing down the heat a bit,just don't use the sugar.easy peasy

You don't need. I made hot sauce for years from scratch at a restaurant and never used sugar. At least not in the traditional Buffalo sauce version. I would use some BBQ sauce in some versions that had sugar in it already, but I never added more sugar.

• CB

Bobby Flay made a career using his "sweet and spicy" method of seasoning food. Sweet and heat just works sometimes.

Only in small amounts to balance out the flavors.

a small amount adds another level of flavor..kind of like when you add salt to a cake or cookie recipe.

Adding small amounts of sugar to any tomato-based sauce during the cooking process will stop the sauce from being bitter.

Some people love sugar.