Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 months ago

Religious people, why do you believe in God? Give reasons for your answer. Atheists, why do you not believe in God? Give reasons too?

Because of my own experiences with him, of course.

• Sky

I do not believe in any god because there is a total lack of reliable, credible, verifiable evidence supporting the claims of the existence of a god. If theists want me to believe their god exists, all they need to do is provide real, actual evidence. Not "the bible says", not anecdotes, not "I had an experience", not "my relative was sick in the hospital but then got better", but testable, verifiable, falsifiable evidence. (Falsifiable meaning that if it is in fact false, there is a way to study the claim and find evidence proving it is wrong. The claim that a god exists in a realm outside space and time, ie. outside of reality, is unfalsifiable because it is impossible to explore, and therefore is a fallacious claim right from the start.)

A single Being responsible for everything is a rather unbelievable claim. Of course people will believe the unbelievable if evidence and reasoning can warrant such a belief. I am an atheist because I have not found any evidence or reasoning that support such a belief. It actually gets worse because there is evidence and reasoning that supports all Gods/Goddeses spoken about throughout history being human creations, leaving only unknown Gods/Goddesses to ponder. The only reason to even ponder that is because of how many superstitious people believe in some sort of higher power. I sort of get why people do this. If we see a car, we know someone made it. If we see a house, we know someone made it. The problem is you cannot look at nature, something like a tree and automatically conclude someone made it. Learning how nature works through science and even personal experience demonstrates that not all complexity needs a who to make it. Natural process also form complexity, where an interesting note is if our intelligence is building cars and homes, why do natural formations stop at just our natural resources? If there is a higher intelligence, why not a city floating in our sky or space stations littered throughout our solar system? Then there is the matter of poor design of humans as well as all of the "natural" defects that can and do occur, such as extra limbs, missing limbs, deformities, etc that require our intelligence to fix if we can. Too much lines up with nature and natural formations rather than Intelligence. The thing about atheism is that it is not about having any answers, it's about the claims of theism failing their burden of proof. If my car won't start and you offer me Gremlins as the problem, I don't need to know why my car doesn't start to find the claim of Gremlins unbelievable and unsupported. If someone says I need new spark plugs, I already know spark plugs exist and are used for combustion and can at least accept that as a "possibility". But not believing in Gremlins doesn't mean I need an alternative explanation, just that I know what the problem is not.

I reserve belief for things that have sufficient objective evidence. The time to believe is when the evidence makes its existence more probable than any other explanation, including its non-existence...not a moment before.

First, "religious people" refers to people from many different religions and most do not believe in God.

As an atheist, I have never found any objectively verifiable evidence that remotely suggest that anything like a god might exist. Some people think they need to believe in a supreme power that holds them accountable for their actions, but I find that morality is mostly about having empathy for others and that we survive better if we cooperate with each other.

'Cause there are none of 'em fluttering around anywhere.

There is no reliably testable evidence that demonstrates a god exists.

Without such evidence I am not compelled to believe.

I don't know about it, it's OK to say you don't know if you think there could possibly be a God but you have not actually seen a God.

• Because she revealed herself to me and saved my life.

• Jim V

Because God is.

And I believe God's promises.

God is the one necessary entity.

Without that grounding all of existence has no ontological basis.

• Jim V

Everard You don't believe that God began to exist ... and neither do I.
      Insisting that God did have a cause ("came from" something) is the category error that gives your misguided assertion of "Special Pleading" one leg to stand on.

The universe began to exit, therefore it has a cause.