Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 5 months ago

is it legal for bikers to skip the line at a stop light?

Florida

• JetDoc

No. "Bikers" whether on a bicycle OR a motorcycle MUST follow the same rules as everyone else who uses the roads. They MUST come to a full and complete stop at a stop light.

• JetDoc

Sorry, Dan. Lots of people call bicycle riders "bikers". The term is NOT exclusive to people on motorcycles.

It's called lane splitting.

If the place you are in allows lane splitting, it is legal.

California is the only state in the USA that allows lane splitting. But it might be legal in other countries.

• Cap'n. America

No. 12 states have no say either way. That makes 13 total. In Any state, you can still get a ticket for reckless driving, if LS done unsafely.

"Skip the line" Please elucidate?

Not all who ride are : "bikers". Not even in UK.

I know it is illegal for any vehicle to not come to full stop before limit line at stop sign or red t. Many motorcyclists simply slow a lot, then go. Illegal but cops generally ignore if done safely. Motorcycle cops do it, too, I've seen 'em. A full stop requires at least one foot down.

Bikers can trip the light fantastic and skip for joy, we are all special and taste of cherries.

Of course it isn't.

• Dimo

ANYTHING is legal, unless it is specifically made illegal.

Unless the cops ticket for something, it is effectively legal.

• Dimo

You want me to believe never break any traffic law? It is impossible to that.

Even if not, I doubt any cop will think it's worth the paperwork.

• Cap'n. America

If : "skipping the line" is simply not making a complete stop on a motorcycle ( just going real slow), cops do it alla time.

Location matters a lot for a question like this one. It is legal in California, but I don't know about everywhere else in the world.

• don r

No one is supposed to cross the limit line at a stop light. However, when a motorcycle cuts in line while all traffic is stopped, don't worry so much. Passing to the front of the line, lane splitting, but not technically running the redlight is not illegal. He'll be gone as soon as the light goes green and you can't catch him. Not your problem anymore, is it. When I see that happen I don't care. What do you think, you're waiting to pay a checkstand?

• Gabe

Skip it and find out.