Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 5 months ago

I just bought a 40 gallon Aquarium on Amazon. What kinda fish should I put in it?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

Maybe ranchu’s, fantails, or orandas, if you are looking for something a bit different, maybe turn it into a community tank? I have a community and a goldfish tank, goldfish tank is 60 gallons, and community 50, so depending on how many fish, you should have enough space for either one, but don’t go too expensive if it’s your first time! As they might not, (not saying you can’t take care of them) get the BEST care that they need! :)

• 5 months ago

The perfect tank size for a community aquarium, or breeding Discus, or a niece Reef tank, or a African Cichlid tank with smaller species.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You can have many different fish (tropical). I would choose 6-8 Neons, 6-8 Zebra Danio, 3-4 GloFish, 5-6 Cory Catfish, maybe 3-4 Swordtail or 4-5 Fancy Guppies (males).

Try to keep the total number of adult fish to about 30-35 so you don't overcrowd them.

• Akeath
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I also have a 40 gallon aquarium, a 40 gallon breeder. My chosen stocking is:

4 male Platies

1 male Honey Sunset Gourami and 2 females

1 Bolivian Ram

1 Longfin Albino Bristlenose Pleco

8 False Julii Corydoras Catfish

9 Harlequin Rasboras

9 Gold Tetras

5 Amano Shrimp

and I'm quite happy with it.

You might go to your local pet stores and write down the fish species that appeal to you. Then check their minimum tank size and see which ones would tolerate the pH and hardness of your local tap water to narrow down the list. From there you can choose from the list based on which ones will get along and are compatible together. aqadvisor is a good resource among others to see how stocked you are, although you'll need to aim for 75% or less total stocking level for your tank size since that site tends to overstock a bit. But if you stick to 75% or less it works fine.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Live ones to start with.

• Gabe
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

1. Great White Shark

2. Blue Whale

3. Swordfish

• 5 months ago

Live.....................

• 5 months ago

A Democrat make great pets

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

start with something easy, like tetras + something that eats algae (snails, plecostomus, etc)

And I hope you bought a filter to go along with it as well.

• 5 months ago

Cheap ones at first.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.