Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 5 months ago

How good at insults was Winston Churchill?

If a prime, mentally sharp Winston Churchill were to go toe to toe with a modern competitor in a match of "The Dozens," would he be able to hold his own or would he be at a cultural disadvantage?

• Fred

Winston Churchill was a brilliant orator who was in big demand before WW2 as a paid dinner speaker. He did not just give speeches in Britain but also went on speaking tours in America. His intellect was well above average and as we have seen in the other answers he came up with some brilliant come backs against those who showed their anger or insulted at him. His ability with words was legendry and it was his ability to stir the British pride in People that kept the British willing to fight on during WW2. They say his speeches to the British parliament and the people of Britain took an hour's preparation to get it just right for every minute of the speech.

Churchill would have no problem "duing the dozens" if he were provided the rules, the only reason he might be at a disadvantage is because he was not provided with the propitiate slang words.

Churchill had a sharp wit. Once when at a party a woman accused him of being stupidly drunk. He responded, "In the morning, I'll be sober, but you'll still be ugly."

• humpty

Legendary. You already have several good examples, my favourite being his response to Lady Astor, "If I were your husband I would drink it!" It is important to remember that they were old friends, and remained so afterwards. It is equally important to remember that Churchill never used foul language, or words like "Libtard," "Contard" or "Democrap." All of his insults were well phrased and perfectly appropriate.

Better still was Benjamin Disraeli. When William Gladstone said that Disraeli would obviously die "either by hanging or the pox," Disraeli replied, "That depends on whether I embrace your morals or your mistress!"

A man with his command of the English language was obviously going to be extremely clever with his insults.

Legendary. Up there with Sir Thomas Beecham.

When told MP Sir Alfred Bossom was speaking in the Commons:

Bossom? Neither one thing nor the other!

• RR

When accused by MP Bessie Braddock of being 'disgustingly drunk' Churchill responded: 'My dear, you are ugly, and what’s more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly.'

He was English, that is a cultural advantage.

• TB12

A quote from Churchill,,

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”

The man had truly mastered the art of the insult.

• PAMELA

A female member of parliament once said to him " mr churchill, if i were married to you i would give you poison!" to which churchill replied, " madam, if i were married to you i would drink it!"