Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 5 months ago

Would photography be a good side business to have in the summer?

I'm studying to become a teacher, and I'm thinking of ways that I would be able to make money in the summer. It also helps that I have a passion for it, too!

Or maybe sell photos on stock sites, it can bring you extra income not just in the summer. Here are referral links to my favorite 2 sites that make me the most money:

http://tinyurl.com/SS-First

http://tinyurl.com/DT-Second

http://tinyurl.com/DP-Third

Maybe...depends on your skills and your ability to sell your work .

• John P

Indeed any business on the arty side of things depends on your technical skill, on your artistic skill, and your people skills in being able to market your talents.

• Frank

Having a passion for photography is fine and all, but that and $5 will just get you a cup of coffee.

Have you ever had your work critiqued by a professional photographer or even a professor of fine art/photography? If not, then that should be your first step in determining if you have what it takes to produce quality work.

The problem that I have with your idea is that you will need to spend a lot of time marketing yourself to get work during the summer. Do you have that time available as a teacher?

You do not mention what type of photography you want to do. I have no idea if you want to be a fine-art photographer, and landscape artist, a fashion or even a wedding photographer. Maybe you want to shoot sports or wildlife ~ who knows? All of these various types require a solid understanding of the core fundamentals while at the same time having their own unique required skill set.

Do you have a printed portfolio of the top 10-15 of your absolute best photos? If not, why not. Without a portfolio you're dead in the water before you even start. Do you have a business plan? Have you run that past anyone who's already in that industry? Do this and you'll have your answer to your question.

I would like to know WHO you think is going to hire and pay you. My musuc business provided wedding ensembles for decades, and the photographers I knew now complain that they is a huge drop in work, since guests upload their photos to a shared site. Newspapers and magazines have staff and stringers. You are an amateur looking for a money - not s career professional in this field. Good luck - but this is hardly a quick-buck situation for anyone.

• keerok

Yes! Definitely.

Heck yes! Do it. Make an insta and take pics of your friends and have them promote it! Put stuff in the paper and make flyers and put stuff on Facebook. Maybe post it on a page with all the people in your graduating class. Also offer cheap senior photos