can a lawsuit get filed over the phone or through voicemail?

Not how it works, no.

• Yeti

Never.

The closest you'd get is retaining an attorney, meeting with them and providing them documentation, completing what you need to do with any court filing with them, then calling them up later and saying you're sure you'd like for them to go ahead and file.

No .................

Are you kidding me???? I literally just stopped working for the evening because the courts require everything be in writing, and conforming to their court rules, which means on pleading paper, properly formatted, and perfect. So if there's a jurisdiction that allowed lawsuits and motions to be filed by phone, then heck, I better take their bar exam, because I could save so much time if I could just call and say, "I'm hereby filing a motion for summary judgement because the other party's case sucks. Oral hearing requested."

No - it has to be in writing.