Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 5 months ago

Parents of teens: Would you ever consider letting your 16 year old go to a different country without you?

I got this really cool opportunity to go with a group of people from school over winter break (coming up this December) and learn about the healthcare system and government structure in another country. The program is sponsored by my school so we would be supervised by school staff. I’m not sure yet which country I’d be going to because at this point is is narrowed down to three different possibilities. They’re all safe countries where there is no war going on or anything. I think this is an amazing opportunity because I want to be a nurse when I get older. I’m 16 years old. I work a part time job on weekends and have some money saved up from work and babysitting the neighbors kids so I’d be able to pay for my own trip.

It's always interesting to see what people say with a question like this, but be aware it might have no value to you. The single biggest factor is your parents, and this includes everything from finances to how strict they are to how much experience you have being away from them, etc etc.

Also, there's a lot here that's vague, and you might want to learn more before asking them. Cost is a biggie. You say you can pay your way, but do you have cost estimates? If not, you need to know the cost, because odds are high you can't.

Also, "school staff" is very vague. With many parents, if it's a teacher they know and trust, this might be different than one they've never met. But it could mean admin or other staff. The point here is few very parents would be ok sending a teen off with total strangers.

Finally, if you end up asking about this, don't use your career goal as part of the reason you want to go. Find something else, becausea nurse or even a physician doesn't need to know about healthcare systems in other countries. That's a political issue, not a medical one.

• Cammie

When I was that age, i went on a teen tour of Europe.This program is for kids and seems well supervised.Let him expand his horizons and go.

• Suzy Q

Well, sure. It's a supervised educational school trip, I would be encouraging you to go. No reason why you shouldn't just because you cross the border.

Unless I were really unable to afford it, I would pay for it too. You could use part of your savings for out of pocket expenses while there.

I would, of course. I'm not even paying for it in your situation.

Asking what other parents would or would not do won't help you with your parents. I would let my teen go on a school sponsored trip outside the US. When I was 17, I went to Greece with my school. Yes, we were "supervised" but there was still enough opportunity to do stupid stuff. It comes down to trust. Do your parents believe that you won't succumb to peer pressure and do things that they don't want you do? Do your parents believe that you are not the kid who gets other kids into trouble? Do your parents believe that the country you are traveling to is safe?

Congrats on getting one big hurdle out of the way by saving up enough money to pay for the trip yourself. Have you considered that you will also need a passport? A US passport costs about $145.

• edward

My school had a trip every year. Grade 9-12, every year the whole class went on a trip together. We went to Kyoto, Japan one year, Milan, Spain the next, Nice, France the year after and NYC , USA the next. Every time without my parents. Of course it was with the teachers and it wasn’t just to take a vacation (we had small assignments while we were there).

If the school was sponsoring and accompanying, yes if I believed the country visited was a safe place to visit, I believed the program would be beneficial to my child, and if it didn't fall on the same period when previous plans were made.

Yes, I would consider it if it were part of a school program. It would depend on how responsible you are. You should ask your own parents, not us.

Many teens do similar. This is between you and your parents.

I'm not a parent, but here is my 2 cents. You know your parents well, so think about all the concerns they would have, and find the solutions beforehand. If you present them with a well thought out proposal, your chances of going increase tremendously. Also, make sure to point out how great it will look on your resume and college applications. Parents are easily swayed by things they think will positively impact your future.

• Jenny

The vast majority of students does not apply to highly competitive colleges. The vast majority of non competitive colleges don't give a rats-butt about extracurricular activities. All you need is a high school diploma and a decent ACT/SAT score.