Kelly asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

What is the best free Android app to learn Spanish?

My son s girlfriend is Hispanic, but fluent in English and Spanish. I don t think her dad speaks much, if any, English at all. Her mom has okay English, but there is still quite a bit of a language barrier. Every time I talk to her, she doesn t understand everything I say and has to have her daughter translate.

I am looking for an app that will help me learn Spanish fast enough to be able to better communicate with her parents. I took a year of Spanish in high school, but that was a very long time ago. I still remember some of the basics, but I want to be able to communicate with her about things like where we are taking their daughter and when we will have her home.

Duolingo is the best free app.

Ditch the apps--they re inefficient. Instead, invite the family over to your home for meals and practice the basics face to face. To prepare, google a list of a few basic sentences and ask for help pronouncing them correctly. From there, expand your sentence-building skills by adding new vocabulary. When learning a language, the most important thing is that you are understood by others. Apps only help you associate English words with Spanish words, rather than improving your ability to hear Spanish and understand it without translating it into English in your head.

• I have tried using Duolingo. Give it a shot.