how long does a landlord have time wise (in Ohio) in returning our deposit. Another tenant will move in before the 30 days.?

we are moving out of the home we have lived in for 8 years. He has another tenant moving in right after we leave. I know by law he has 30days to return or deposit or reason why he is keeping it. but does that void after a new tenant moves in before that 30 days?

A new tenant moving in does not void anything. Laws are never voided unless they are "repealed", and replaced with another law, which would be like voiding of sorts.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Judy

no, he still has the 30 days

He would need to find the damage before the next tenant moves in. Otherwise there may be a dispute over who caused it. However, the landlord still has 30 days to return your deposit.

I had an ohio landlord that gave the next tenant a key before my stuff was out (and before my lease was up). She started moving in while my big furniture was still inside. He returned my deposit, but, if he did find damage after the next tenant moved in, he would have a difficult time proving which tenant was responsible.

It never voids the 30 days...it might just take them that long to cut the check...assuming a prior tenant is not a high priority.

He has thirty days after your move out to return the deposit and/or notify you of deposit deductions, regardless of whether or not someone new moves in during that 30 day period. It doesn't matter if someone new moves in.

It is usually around 30 days. You're lucky it's only 30 days here, because in Germany a landlord can take up to 6 months to return it.

• DEBS

What happens after you leave is not relevant. That includes new tenants moving in or not.

• 28AKO

No, the landlord still has 30days to issue a refundable deposit

• R P

It doesn't matter how soon another tenent moves in after you move out. Your landlord has as much time as Ohio's laws allow to *mail* the accounting of your security deposit.

Source(s): Fl landlord

The fact that he has a new tenant moving in has no bearing on the requirements of the law. If you have a written lease it should tell you what his obligations are on this matter. The best thing you can do for yourself is to arrange for him to do a walkthrough as soon as you have moved out and done a cleanup of the home. This will avoid him trying to charge you for things that are basic wear over 8 years.