Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

Onboard a flight , if an emotional support animal becomes disruptive and cannot be consoled . What happens?

Will the plane have to make a landing , and the animal be removed from the plane?

Will the passenger / owner of the animal be reunited with the animal at some point upon the animal's removal ?

Or will both animal and owner be required to exit at the same time?

Update:

QUESTION # 2 : Can sedatives , prescribed by my vet , be administered beforehand to help soothe and calm the animal during flight?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

"Will the plane have to make a landing , and the animal be removed from the plane?"

This is nominated for "Dumbest question ever on YA".

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Likely the passenger and dog will be asked to get off the plane at the next stop even if its not the one you need to get off the plane for. Second, if your dog needs medications to fly with you, then its not a legit ESA and should be left at home. An ESA is supposed to be for the person - so if its got a problem flying, then its no help to you and therefore its not a ESA.

Leave the dog home and you take the flight and take medication instead.

• 5 months ago

Not sure of the picture in your mind but in mine it would depend on the situation. A lady got thrown off because her ESA was a squirrel. Another lady who had a Peacock & wasn't allowed to board. There have been a lot of issues with animals on planes.

A couple of yrs back I flew from Albuq. NM to Missoula Montana & back with a female Dalmatian as my ESA. One of the Captains of one of the flights sought me out to thank me for having a good dog. Made my day, I was proud. One airplane was so small there was not way for her to even get in to the seating it was to little. That had to find another seat for me & we ended up with two seats to ourselves but they made her stay on the floor. no problem.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Onboard+a+flight+%...

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

If possible the plane lands mid-flight, you and the dog get booted off, you get a heavy fine and possibly are sued b the other passengers.

Many airlines only allow service animals, not ESAs.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

You and your pet get booted off the plane, possible fine, and your pet goes on the no fly list.

• 5 months ago

REAL ESA do not have melt-downs or anxiety problems on a plane. If you're unsure, and have not trained your dog to handle such situations

then you have NO BUSINESS taking the dog on a plane. Sedatives can prove unsafe for dogs on planes (esp if they have any breathing problems to begin with) and can make dogs MORE anxious and cause them to have trouble walking. Sedatives can last 4-8 hours.

More and more airlines, are REQUIRING PROOF of training before you can take the dog on board, as well as PROOF from your treating doctor (on letterhead) you need the animal s for emotional support, etc.

Take a gander at these new policies, for emotional support animals on Delta airline:

https://esadoctors.com/airline/delta-airlines-emot...

https://www.pettravel.com/blog/index.php/emotional...

Policies can vary but as of October 1st the American Kennel Club will also be offering STANDARDIZED TESTING (for ESA dogs) agreed to by many of the airlines, to rule out many/most FAKE ESA. And if you do not get it, do not have it, or another acceptable PROOF of a certified trained dog, you will NOT be getting on the plane, with that animal. BTW, pit bull-type dogs, are BANNED from many airlines as an ESA.

• Lorraine
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Good.. glad they're toughening up but it was always going to happen wasn't it with so many people trying to pass their pets off as ESA's or Service dogs.

• 5 months ago

Most airline will not allow ESA any more due to people like you. They also will not allow the dog to be sedated before hand and no vet will do it

Leave the dog at home

• Frank
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

WHAT? So...you are taking a flight and coming up with CRAP about YOUR F#CKING DOG? Why would you even RISK it. All animals are different. Take the dog on a PRIVATE FLIGHT in a PRIVATE AIRCRAFT to see what the animal DOES.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I'm sure the airline has rules about that on their website. do some research so you know for sure.

• Kieth
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Both would be removed and the owner would be fined for the unscheduled landing.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.